IGNORED

L24 Rebuild -Again!

madkaw

I would really like to mount everything on this motor without leaning over a fender, that's the plan-subject to change

I can understand your reasoning completly Steve. Mine look terrible when you take a close look. I think the PO used them for a workbench.

The temptation to lean on a fender when you are concentrating on something is hard to resist. It don't take much to dent them. Mine were very "flexible" until I replaced the padding blocks under the fender. That helped a lot.

Aaha, I see you found your torque wrench😆

looks great - i applaud your prep and layout. nothing more satisfying than assembling clean, organized parts. why will you mount the tranny after the motor's in? seems like an easier connection to the spindle when you're not on your back. i'm about ready to mount mine up so your thoughts would be appreciated.

I plan on mounting the trans in its mount before the engine is installed, then there isn't much back time . The trans mount will be all bolted up with the front of the trans sitting on its trans jack. I will then make sure the input shaft is level and measure it's height. When I drop the engine in I will get it level with the trans. I will pre- measure the height the engine needs to be to match up with the trans and mark that on my jack.

All this to get it as close as possible and then hopefully it's just pushing the engine on to the trans.

Very little work under the car and I don't need as much room to swing the engine. I also don't have to tilt the engine so no chains or straps to swing in to my carbs

Well I really thought I would have a head in my hands this weekend, but not yet. Last I spoke to the machinist he was shaving the head for 39cc chambers. At that time we talked again about valve guide seals and the importance of getting them on right. With the high lift cam I use the Ford seals on the guides and they are very finicky. After that conversation I didn't hear from the guy the rest of the weekend, so I'm thinking the seals became an issue. Maybe Monday

so...  you're stuck with your head in your hands wondering when you'll have a head in your hands... 

sorry, couldn't resist  ;)

seriously though, bummer to be all ready and missing parts. i feel your pain...

I went to check in with my machinist today.  He has the block done and is waiting on moly plasma rings from Hastings.  He wants the expansion core plugs for the front and rear of the block, I'll put the sides in after painting it.  Promised to have the block ready before the July 4th holidays.  I'm going to put one of the E88 heads on there for now.  I might get the E31 and cam kit back from him and send it to someone else, I have the feeling he doesn't want to mess with setting it up.  I've learned a valuable lesson from this, I should never say "Take your time, I'm in no rush".  I told him that in February thinking I'd have it by April or at least May, WRONG!  Nice guy though so pitching a fit wouldn't speed him up any, probably wizz him off and make things even slower.  He's the only guy in town.

Sorry to post my work in your thread but it was quicker to find. :D