IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Its an L28 N42/early E88 with round top su carbs, electronic ignition, 6-1 headers and 2 1/2 system to the JDM muffler. Havent open up the engine but i guess its pretty stock. Will be reubild this winter with triples and maybe some other goodies!

Last Sunday the car died leaving Caffeine & Octane. Helpful spectators pushed me back in the lot and I spent an hour checking it out before calling for a tow home. At home I sprayed starter fluid in the air filter housing to rule out fuel as the culprit. Turn the key, click-click-click. Now the starter won't crank the engine. Hooked up a remote starter and got the same result. Tried the old screwdriver across the solenoid terminals and it cranked, so figured it must be the solenoid. Ordered one from RockAuto and installed it yesterday.

With the starter working I repeated the starter fluid in the air cleaner and it didn't start. Checked for spark and found none. Searched the forums and figured it was either the points or the coil. This morning I went in search of the points. A nearby store's website said they had them Not so. Found another store (different brand) 8 miles away that had the points and coil according to their website. Not to be fooled twice I called first and they actually had them. Got home and installed both and it started right up. Spent another hour trying to get the point gap right. (Someone should come up with an alternative to points  :rolleyes:.)  Dwell is a little low, but it runs. Set the timing and took it for a drive.

A beautiful day to have a running Z. Thanks to the help from the forums I got to enjoy it.

Installed a pair of 7" H4 housings and bulbs from KC to replace the silly sealed beams. Broke only 2 of 8 screws holding the buckets in, and spent an hour or so swearing at the car before getting them somewhat in place. The MSA headlight covers are pretty much the biggest pain in the arse I need to regularity deal with. They're new, and both have cracked, and they scratch inanely easily. Next time they come off they're going in the trash. The buckets are rotted and both adjustment mechanisms are beyond repair, but the clearer lens and h4 bulb's ease of future replacement are a must. Lame KC logo on the bottom of the reflector housing, but not too obvious. These shipped with decent Philips 9003 bulbs installed, if anyone has wondered... KC doesn't specify other than 55w.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by oranngetang

While my 77' is in for body work (rockers,doglegs,and rear valence), I took the leap and POR15'd the fuel tank, inside and out. I've been wanting to do this for a while now and was inspired by this thread  http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/17542-treating-insideoutside-of-gas-tank-with-por15-products-and-removing-evaporation-tank/page-2?hl=tank

Before

post-29102-0-12698200-1442201730_thumb.j

During

post-29102-0-13515300-1442201867_thumb.jpost-29102-0-93586100-1442201922_thumb.j

After

post-29102-0-53643100-1442201990_thumb.j

Inside before and after

post-29102-0-10145900-1442202039_thumb.j,post-29102-0-33962100-1442202078_thumb.j

• Like 4

• Mike locked this topic