IGNORED

Fuel stabilizer/preservative for 280z??

dkassulke

I'm original owner of '76 280z and my mechanic found some rust in the bottom of gas tank (outside tank rust-free). He's going to restore the inside with POR15 fuel tank repair kit. Would you Z owners recommend a fuel stabilizer/preservative and if so, which brand is the best?? Z is in Minnesota and will be stored in the winter months. Plan to drive only when roads are snow/salt free at that time. Recommendations much appreciated. :stupid:

Deb

I also use Sta-Bil. Never had a problem with it. Wish I could give an opinion on 360 product but I've never needed anything but plain old Sta-Bil.

I think the PRO 15 you mentioned is POR 15. This is protective coating system that is applied to the inside of the fuel tank to prevent rust & corrosion. It's not a fuel additive. But if there is a fuel additive called PRO 15, the confusion is mine.

It's the brand I use simply because the guy who would rebuild carbs for our boat, back when we had a gasoline powered boat, told us he wouldn't guarantee his carb rebuilds unless we treated with Sta-Bil. It's also the brand our local marina owner swears by.

Having said all this, I don't really have much need for a fuel stabilizer anymore. All our cars get driven year-round, so our fuel doesn't sit for too long. Everything is fuel injected, so corrosion-clogged carburetor micro-passages are no longer a problem. And all our carbureted yard equipment gets real gas -- the old fashioned stuff with no ethanol. Oh, and we sold the power boat. Now our only marine engine is a diesel.

But in answer to your question, the reason I use the product when I do (which is really seldom) is that it is so universally recommended by people I trust to know what they're talking about.

I also use Sta-Bil. Never had a problem with it. Wish I could give an opinion on 360 product but I've never needed anything but plain old Sta-Bil.

I think the PRO 15 you mentioned is POR 15. This is protective coating system that is applied to the inside of the fuel tank to prevent rust & corrosion. It's not a fuel additive. But if there is a fuel additive called PRO 15, the confusion is mine.

Hi Mark,

My typo mistake: POR 15 not PRO. But yes they do or have had POR 15 fuel preservative/stabilizer. It was supposed to be include in the POR 15 fuel repair kit I purchased from MSA. I've also seen it on Amazon. Regardless, it seems like Sta-Bil is the way to go.

Deb

He's going to restore the inside with POR15 fuel tank repair kit.

POR-15 apparently is the brand name for a very good external coating, but I don't know that they've built a name in fuel tank sealers. I'm reading some questionable reviews around the interweb. You might want to do some diligence on that repair. Quite a few Z people have coated their tanks and might have some opinions. There are other brands out there.

One key to keeping your fuel in good shape is to have the carbon canister, check valves, filler hose, and gas cap all in good working order. To keep air from moving in and out with fresh oxygen and moisture.

Yes, I did research about POR15 gas tank repair kit. This kit includes marine clean, prep ready and then U.S. standard fuel tank sealer is used. My mechanic has used this before and I trust him. I've seen positive and negative comments about this product but the instructions must be followed to get desired outcome. Process seems to take a few days, not 24 hours. Worst case the tank will end up at a gas tank repair shop. Thanks for your concern.

Deb

Besides the classic Sta-Bil use for storage, there is a new product called Sta-Bil 360 that deposits a rust preventing coating from the top of the gas tank through to the combustion chambers. The latter product is designed for continual use and not off season storage.

I have no idea how effective Sta-Bil 360 is, just letting you know there is a difference.