IGNORED

Is this off too much?

siteunseen

I'm putting a ZX distributor on my car and I want to do it right. So could I get you guys opinion on my spindle position? Should I drop the oil pump and get it at 11:25? It's at 1:35 now. And with the #2 on the sprocket showing the closet to the timing mark doesn't that mean it's actually in hole #1? Aren't they separated by 8 sprocket teeth?

Thanks for any advice,

Cliff

post-24724-14150828839508_thumb.jpg

post-24724-14150828840279_thumb.jpg

post-24724-14150828840863_thumb.jpg

post-24724-14150828841433_thumb.jpg

Everything looks great, assuming that the tight side (driver's side) of the timing chain is tight, and you're on zero. Can't really see the picture, it's too dark. You can put a wrench on the cam sprocket nut to tighten up the tight side, if it's off a little. The numbers don't really matter, it's the notch and groove that do. Yours look right.

post-20342-14150828842047_thumb.png

The exact location of 11:30 can be off a tooth if your distributor mount is clocked enough so that you can set the correct electrical timing.

Installing the spindle off a tooth or two is a way to fudge the timing if you can't source the correct distributor mount.

post-7641-1415082884364_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the greasy tang on my old original 1976 engine, at zero, sitting in the garage, headless. Y'alls picture is just too shiny.

We've got three that show a different orientation. siteunseen's, mine and the FSM. Not sure where that shiny picture is from or why it would be different. Just saying, something's off, somewhere.

post-20342-14150828844636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zed Head

Well your can't be right because your engine is DIRTY.

Is is the angle of the dangle here guys. The manual is very specific at 11.25. Cliff's pic looks straight up high noon, but is it the angle of the camera-don't know. But when someone tells me 11;25 and I'm there at high noon-I'm late

Maybe they stretch after 40+ years? :ermm: It's just a frogs hair off but since I have the gasket and lots of time I'll drop the pump and re-time it just for fun. it's against the law to drink and drive but to drink and wrench is perfectly legal at my garage, messy though. I'll get a pic of the spindle's timing mark where it lines up with the mark on the pump's top tube.

Thank you for the "meeting of minds", I'll be back with my findings Sirs.

I ended up having to put my dizzy and pump on totally off what the FSM says to get mine timed correctly. My #1 is where the FSM puts #6 which makes it sound like something is 180° off, which it is not on the cam, and crank, just the pump and dizzy. I followed a suggestion by Zed in order to get my timing correct(I was also really really tired of pulling the pump). Car runs well now.

Edited by mjr45