IGNORED

40DCOE-18s installed on 3.1 stroker tends to die upon deceleration

dawg7

I drove the car for about 3 hours yesterday adjusting the idle mixture screws and ever so slightly...meaning less than 1/2 turn total the throttle plate screws to get a 1000 rpm idle. During the drive and coming to a stop the engine never died. It did dip down to 600 RPM a few times but never quit. But more importantly I noticed that the more then 3/4 of the time that idle would never come down to 1000 unless I tapped the gas pedal. So there is an intermittent bind somewhere. My tasks for the week: fix the binding; start over on the tuning and then go up on the timing a few degrees at a time. I am more than convinced that there are several issues that is causing the engine to die....

I have the SK airflow meter and I have the carbs sync'd within 0.5. And I am planning on installing the O2 sensor and AFR reader next month. I will be researching those products in the next few weeks. This week and weekend will be spent on fixing the binding.

Fix your linkage and make sure the throttle plates are in sync. It sounds like your idle is too lean. If you're idle mixture screw is out more then 1 turn you need to richen the idle jet. The idle circuit in a Weber DCOE is not just for idle. I is critical to engine running up to about 2,000 rpm. If you have a stumble around 2,100 to 2,500, which is about where the carbs transition to the mains, you're idle circuit is also too lean or you have the wrong emulsion tubes in the carb.

+1 on ensuring all throttle plates are set the same, sounds like you already had that figured out with the progression hole alignment you mentioned earlier. It looks like you have 3 linkage-rod mounts (I've read sometimes the 3 mounts arent always aligned and causes slight binding)...does your linkage rod rotate freely when the engine is off?

More importantly, it doesn't look like you have an external throttle return spring? I would DEFINITELY implement that as soon as possible (for safety). I use the set-up sold by piercemanifolds and would recommend it.

p.s. an O2 meter is a great tool, take the guesswork out!

Edited by TBone028

First of all I appreciate the feed back and tips. From what I am reading to what I am seeing on my setup it leads me to believe that I have a binding issue. So I am going to replace the linkage. I don't like that look of it anyway... I rushed this project trying to beat some established timelines. Big mistake on my part. So first thing I am going to do is look through this site and check out some setups. I have seen some nice billet sets, (cygnusx1 yours looks amazing) I just can't find them online. I already am using a Lokar throttle cable.

BTW the PSI is a constant 3.5. I have a 4 psi fuel boost and the mechanical pump installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working the issue for the past days and have made progress. BLUF. The linkage was binding and timing was off (for triple webers). I bought the universal set from Pierce Manifolds and it works great; looks good too! I also replaced the dizzy with one from a 79 280zx. Reading the Weber power tuning manual I increased the timing at idle until the RPM stopped increasing. The idle timing now is 17 and the mechanical advance is 17 for that dizzy. The idle is really smooth; what a difference that dizzy makes and the engine doesn't die at all. Next is the AFR for final tuning. Again thanks for the replies.

Edited by dawg7

• 1 year later...

Ah, the linkage on 240z triples, I have fought this good fight many times, and I am finally going to kill it. The throttle has never felt as good as it did with the OEM push pull rod set up. I have a lokar kit and I have never liked it. I added stronger return springs in my carbs and still it does not return all the time without a blip or two. And now I am stuck with the damn hard as hell to push gas pedal.  I am dumping the cannon manifold for the Harada one Mike W put me onto.  Larger beefier throttle control rod and it can hook up to the OEM push pull rod set up, which to me is far superior.  My SU's were pure butter compared to my damn throttle cable. It is the one thing that can make a Z less than a joy to drive. My Roadster has a sublime throttle feel.   The best my Z ever felt was when I had my new Ztherapy SU's with fresh OEM linkage. I want that back.

Take your time bud. You will get it right.

Ah, the linkage on 240z triples, I have fought this good fight many times, and I am finally going to kill it. The throttle has never felt as good as it did with the OEM push pull rod set up. I have a lokar kit and I have never liked it. I added stronger return springs in my carbs and still it does not return all the time without a blip or two. And now I am stuck with the damn hard as hell to push gas pedal.  I am dumping the cannon manifold for the Harada one Mike W put me onto.  Larger beefier throttle control rod and it can hook up to the OEM push pull rod set up, which to me is far superior.  My SU's were pure butter compared to my damn throttle cable. It is the one thing that can make a Z less than a joy to drive. My Roadster has a sublime throttle feel.   The best my Z ever felt was when I had my new Ztherapy SU's with fresh OEM linkage. I want that back.

Take your time bud. You will get it right.

I felt you weren't too happy with your Z when you mentioned selling it.  

Reading your thread about the motor swap and all is when I first started reading this forum daily and is what put two 240s in my garage.  The wooden crate you gave us dimensions to build one was when I knew I had found the right group of people on a forum, sharers not just takers.  I never really saw any special differences between the 240s and the 280s until I kept up with your build.  You changed my mind, thank you for that.  :)

That is very kind bud. I have been driving her a lot more lately. And my love affair is back with a vengeance. My Z is about to get a lot more love (read as money) dolled out on it.

To know I helped out my fellow man, well you just made my day buddy.

My Z is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Well unless some crazy person offers me obscene money for it...

Nah, even then I am keeping it.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi
  • Like 1