IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

Congratulations, we're getting close. Keep in mind the goal is NOT to get it to run well at 2 1/2 turns. The goal is to get the floats set to 2 1/2 turns THEN adjust the mixture screws to fine tune it. The float level at 2 1/2 turns down (clockwise) is the primary mixture adjustment. We've got to get the floats right before we can fine tune.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, Mark Maras said:

Could idle speed be the problem? I think it may be contributing to the plugs loading up during a long idle. I want to get the carbs tuned to rule out that possibility. In my youth, when everyone was stuffing big cams into small block Chevys, one of the negatives was having to blip the throttle to clear the plugs when the idle started dropping. I didn't think Jalex's cam had enough duration or overlap to make it idle that rough but IF the idle is supposed to be up around 1200 rpms, it would indicate that it is a rough idling cam.

@jalexquijano After the engine is warmed up, what is the RPMs at idle. A few historical questions. I believe you changed cams to try alleviate a problem earlier. What was the problem? Did the cam change help? Was there ever a time (even briefly) when the engine ran good or have there been problems since day one?

Mark,

At least you clearly understand my car's problem. Spark plugs turning black when idling for long time. Spark plugs turn black and when accelrating engine sputters until the spark plugs clear again.

Jalex. We're "getting there". I'll bet you're starting to feel a sense of accomplishment. You may even have a stupid grin on your face that can't be erased. VOE. Soon you'll be giving your former mechanics a single digit salute as you drive by their shops, revving the engine to 5000 + RPMs. Keep up the good work.

Mark you are the best. Ill keep working on my float adjustments. Today ill crank the car at 3.5 turns and verify the level. Here i found a picture of how they were adjusted from ztherapy when sent by mail supposedly at 2.5 turns. I noticed the float is not fully straight but inclined.

20170623_102920.jpg

Yeah, inclined is what I remember. You can check the level at 3 1/2 turns but remember the level is supposed to be at 2 1/2 turns. If you're having trouble seeing the fuel level at 2 1/2 turns, pull the choke. That will pull the nozzles down and you will be able to see how low the fuel level is and hopefully, how far it has to come up.