IGNORED

Clutch engagement problem

gtom

Replaced the clutch master and slave with SACHS replacement parts. The old flexible line was in bad shape. Engagement feels much better, but now I can detect clutch slippage. Oh well, I think its time to replace the clutch. Quick question, will the new master and slave cylinders work with the '81-3 280ZX 5-speed?

All of the NISSAN transmissions use the same hydraulics. Not sure about the BW T-5 in the Turbos.

Make sure the slave cylinder is returning all the way. If the fluid can't flow back freely it will cause that clutch slippage... Is there supposed to be a return spring on the 73' cars?

Charles

The 73 does not have a return spring. The clutch pedal adjustment needs to be correct to ensure proper clutch operation. No free-play between the pedal and master could hold the clutch a bit and cause slipping.

Make sure the slave cylinder is returning all the way. If the fluid can't flow back freely it will cause that clutch slippage... Is there supposed to be a return spring on the 73' cars?

Charles

Yes, the rod on the master is fully extended on the return position with the clutch pedal at the highest possible point. My '73 does have a return spring on the clutch pedal.

All of the NISSAN transmissions use the same hydraulics. Not sure about the BW T-5 in the Turbos.

The 73 does not have a return spring. The clutch pedal adjustment needs to be correct to ensure proper clutch operation. No free-play between the pedal and master could hold the clutch a bit and cause slipping.

My '73 does have a return spring and I've adjusted so that the master cylinder rod is fully extended in the pedal return position. There is a bit of free play caused by the wear of the clevis at the clevis pin connection.

My '73 does have a return spring and I've adjusted so that the master cylinder rod is fully extended in the pedal return position. There is a bit of free play caused by the wear of the clevis at the clevis pin connection.

There should be about 1" of free play at the pedal. See the factory service manual, clutch section, page 6.

I think you are talking about the spring on the clutch pedal. The slave cylinders on the Series I 240Z had a spring on the slave cylinder. They also had a special clutch fork with an extra tab to anchor the spring.

You have a 1973 240Z. That is series IV.

Chas