IGNORED

Antenna Rebuild / Restore

JLPurcell

Rubber bits from Steve Nixon for the antenna restoration arrived today!

Here they are shown with the finisher nut I am using as a test.

Left top is the finisher nut cone---beneath is the demo'ed finisher nut and the nut lower seal.

To the right is the upper "plastic" ball, the mast assembly to body seal and, finally the inside quarter panel lower rubber ball.

The parts are very accurately produced---another testament to Steve's skills!  :)

DSC00959.JPG

This photo shows the parts in assembled order.

assembly.jpg

You will notice there is a gap between the shoulder of the cone and the upper surface of the finisher nut.

More on that this weekend, as we try to complete an installation process for a proper fit.

Stay tuned.......

• Like 3

Left top is the finisher nut cone---beneath is the demo'ed finisher nut and the nut lower seal.
To the right is the upper "plastic" ball, the mast assembly to body seal and, finally the inside quarter panel lower rubber ball.
The parts are very accurately produced---another testament to Steve's skills!  default_smile.png
DSC00959.thumb.JPG.e6889564fb15fa75fd7d60696dbf49d7.JPG

assembly.thumb.jpg.824f50b5c9978434d9d0cb1dde33b784.jpg
You will notice there is a gap between the shoulder of the cone and the upper surface of the finisher nut.
More on that this weekend, as we try to complete an installation process for a proper fit.
Stay tuned.......

Great work. Look forward to these being available for purchase.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zup said:

The parts are very accurately produced---another testament to Steve's skills!  :)

DSC00959.JPG

assembly.jpg

Stay tuned.......

12 hours ago, Galaxybj said:

Great work. Look forward to these being available for purchase.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

Zup, I noticed that the brass piece is removed from the retainer nut prior to the plastic cap being installed. I believe that the brass piece is a ground for the antenna mast necessary for reception. Any thoughts on that? Thank Jerry Purcell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

Zup, I noticed that the brass piece is removed from the retainer nut prior to the plastic cap being installed. I believe that the brass piece is a ground for the antenna mast necessary for reception. Any thoughts on that? Thank Jerry Purcell

The Brass "fingers" must be installed in the finisher nut for a proper fit. There must be zero left over plastic from the old top in the finisher nut or on the brass "fingers".  The lower lip on the new top is paper thin but it must be like this for the correct fit. 

• Like 3

The aluminum housing of the antenna assembly should be electrically grounded to the body. And the extendable antenna (mast) portion must be electrically isolated from the "ground" of the body while being connected to the center prong on the co-ax cable on the interior of the car.

It's been so long since I've been inside one of those things that I don't remember the brass finger things, but if they slide along the mast, they're probably there to help insure electrical connection.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

The aluminum housing of the antenna assembly should be electrically grounded to the body. And the extendable antenna (mast) portion must be electrically isolated from the "ground" of the body while being connected to the center prong on the co-ax cable on the interior of the car.

It's been so long since I've been inside one of those things that I don't remember the brass finger things, but if they slide along the mast, they're probably there to help insure electrical connection.

In looking at the design of the antenna I believe that this is correct. The connection to the mast has to be through the housing of the mast and the "brass fingers" would serve that purpose, through the retainer nut to the brass threads which are isolated from the body of the antenna. The antenna cable is connected to the brass threads that the retainer nut attaches to. I am not 100% sure of this, but it makes since when you look at the design of the antenna. 

• Like 1

I have got a reply from HARADA , but it seems to me almost impossible to get a replacement mast.

They said first of all , they can not supply parts to individual customers, they can do only for car manufacturers like Nissan. 

They said ‘maybe we can react / move on if Nissan place an order to us ,but Nissan has to specify the parts number of the mast and tell it to us when placing an order’ 

So, I now think to make it happen, 

#1 many people want the mast ( hundreds or thousands?)

#2 Nissan thinks replacement mast will make a profit 

#3 We and/or Nissan know the part number of the mast

#4 HARADA still have tools and materials to make it 

It’s just a long way to the mast if you wanna Rock and roll .

I visited my mother’s house , the outside was minus 10 degrees Celsius, I decided not operate the antenna. 

Kats

By the way, were  there quite a number of people who tried to bend the antenna ? A gas lid too, why Fairlady Zs have key- locked lid ? Was Japan unsafe at that time or Fairlady  Zs were too good for those people and  they were jealous so badly ?

B5574757-B628-4885-9AA9-AFD17C25F9A8.png

53076B2D-EA86-45AF-B606-7D3AD1E587EF.jpeg

9EE0E38A-37CF-426E-8274-8124E66134A4.jpeg

A178533A-51A2-4896-A7CF-EF8AF77194EF.jpeg

37A8B739-058A-4B5E-852C-3433AFF91417.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

If the information is true that Nissan is planning to begin supplying parts for restoration of the Z car and Skyline this may be a part to contact them and request replacement parts, such as this that as good as some are at reproducing some parts this one is not one that can be independently re-manufactured. 

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Zup said:

I am of the opinion that @Namerow is on to it.

I'll try to clear some of this up tomorrow morning.

Or maybe the brass fingers are provided as insurance re electrical contact between the mast and brass tube..

• the finisher nut with the brass fingers screws onto the top of the brass tube
  • the antenna cable connects to the brass tube
  • the antenna mast slides up and down inside the brass tube
  • the brass tube is electrically isolated from the aluminum housing

The fit between the brass tube's ID and the antenna mast's OD is somewhat loose, so I suppose that the electrical contact between the mast and the tube could become erratic if the mast starts to vibrate in the airstream when the car is at speed.  The little brass fingers would ensure that the radio doesn't receive a jumpy signal.

Or maybe the fingers are there to mechanically centre the mast elements as the come up out of the brass tube and then keep them from vibrating in the airstream.  The extra electrical contact could be just an unintended bonus (although the use of brass makes me think that there really is an electrical purpose at work here).

FWIW, only three of the brass fingers remained on the finisher nut of my antenna and even they were pretty mangled, so I just broke them off. I tested for electrical continuity between the mast and the cable before I installed the antenna in the car and it was fine. The mast didsn't seem too wobbly when it was fully extended.  We'll see how things work when I finally get the car running and out on the road.

Edited by Namerow
New ideas added