IGNORED

240z Inspection Light Source?

ksbeta

Hi Mike

I made a couple of lenses with a white dye. The second one I made looks pretty close to original. Thats the one in the centre of the photo.

The equipment Im using is what I had set up for making my tail light (turn signal) lenses for my 280Z.

Otherwise I wouldnt have done it. I found the equipment at factory auctions and such.

Equipment; A compressor - Vacuum pump - Vacuum chamber to de-gas resin - Pressure chamber to pressurize resin until it cures. This is to prevent champagne bubbles effect from forming in the lens - Scales to weigh resin, dye & hardener - Seringe or something to inject resin in mould - Release agent (spray) to help release mould and clean up.

I dont know if anyone would be interested in a lens? The purpose was for my own 280Z restoration, but if any clubmembers would be interested in one. I could make some extras.

I have more photos in my profile Album.

post-26512-14150823518978_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150823519259_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150823519514_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150823519803_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys, I didnt think there would be much call for them. If I can get $10 + shipping would be nice.

I will check what it costs for shipping and get back to you. If your still interested I now have a mould and stil have some resin so its easy to make a batch of 10.

Chas

Edit: Thanks for the comments guys. It all started when I wanted to make a taillight lens for my 280z and I came across the pressure chamber. I thought, the euro lights cost around $500 so if I keep the budget to that this would be more fun. And it is still.

Edited by EuroDat

• 10 months later...

Funny this thread popped up again today! I finally dug out my old inspection light from a box last night. I had ordered a couple of Chas' lovely lenses and wanted to test the fit. His workmanship is beautiful, and the fit is perfect! I'm in awe of his talent.

As for the source for new inspection lights linked by Dr. 240Z, up around post #13... Well, I have that site bookmarked as "New Z parts -- Last Resort Shyster," so beware. The guy often GROSSLY overcharges, and he doesn't take returns. He charged me a mint for some part I found in abundance on ebay about a week later for 1/10 the price (new, genuine Nissan, in the Nissan-labeled Nissan bags). When I approached him about it, his attitude was essentially to go and f*** myself. So buyer beware!