IGNORED

DIY: How to Recover Your Z Seats - LOTS OF PICTURES

Hardway

Hey Keith--

The greenish color you need for the seat sliders is the same as for the horns. (I might add that it is correct as well for the heater blower and heater blower housing)

@CanTechZ started an interesting thread some time back and I added my experience with trying to duplicate this color in it.

The aerosols I used were Rust-oleum products readily available at Lowe's or Home Depot:

olive drab.jpg

You'll have to experiment a little to get the right combination of camouflage and oil rubbed bronze as I described in the thread. I think it will be what you are after.

Colors don't show up well in the photo above or from the 2015 photo in the thread, but the greenish bronze combination is very close to the original color used on the components of the rails, horns, and heater box blower motor housings.

Hope it helps.

Zup

• Like 1

Another option would be to find a paint store that custom mixes cans of spray paint and take your paint card from SW.  A Car Quest store in Georgetown just north of Austin does this.  I had them mix up a can of orange paint for an original air cleaner I painted.  Think it costs $22.  Even in Plano there has to be a place in Plano or Richardson that does this.  Call around, someone knows.

So happy to see that this thread continues to live on and help other owners.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/5/2018 at 10:58 PM, Hardway said:

Another option would be to find a paint store that custom mixes cans of spray paint and take your paint card from SW.  A Car Quest store in Georgetown just north of Austin does this.  I had them mix up a can of orange paint for an original air cleaner I painted.  Think it costs $22.  Even in Plano there has to be a place in Plano or Richardson that does this.  Call around, someone knows.

So happy to see that this thread continues to live on and help other owners.

Hardway,

Found your step by step restoration guide for the seat in my 1972 240z. As per your experience where should i purchase the materials: seat covers, foams, etc? Any supplier you recommend? Is it worth investing in leather interior? 

48 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Any supplier you recommend? Is it worth investing in leather interior? 

Use this link:  https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic08f

If you plan to totally rebuild the seats, you'll need new foam, new upholstery, maybe seat webbing depending on year of your Z, spray paint for side rails and seat frame & back.  MSA is the source I used recently and I'm pleased with materials and results.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I likewise went with Interior Innovations and chose to go with black with red stitching and Z emblem to tie in with the red exterior. I'll be doing leather door, dash, shifter boot and center console over the next few months but had to go with J-F customs since Interior Innovations didn't have the measurements to do the dash.

I'll be spending a lot of time on the door panels because it looks like to match the diagonal pattern on the originals, I'll need to learn how to sew foam-filled channels on the leather and figure out how to patch the speaker holes a PO cut in the door card.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...