IGNORED

Welcome home!

z boy mn

Good morning, everyone!

For anyone who remembers, back in March I purchased a 1972 Datsun 240Z, and it was destroyed in a horrific shipping accident (it hadn't been strapped down) 10 miles from where it had lived for 37 years. I was devastated--and so was the seller, whom I met here. So, I took the last few months and did some more searching, salvaged what parts I could from the '72, and finally, just this week, found a new dream!

It's a 1971 Datsun 240Z, Series I. It had been a project car of the owner for 13 years, during which time he replaced, upgraded, painted, cleaned, and perfected it. I've even got all the receipts! When I discovered it on our local Z-car FB page, it hadn't even been started yet...so the motor (a stroker) had no hours or miles on it. Together we finished it and I drove it home last weekend. The 4.11 LS differential is shot, but I got a spare 3.90 in the deal, so this weekend I'll put that in. Wahoooo!

More pictures to follow, and some are kind of blurry, but for now....

post-25850-14150820006252_thumb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]55644[/ATTACH]

Still celebrating!

post-25850-14150820003642_thumb.jpg

post-25850-14150820004358_thumb.jpg

post-25850-14150820004984_thumb.jpg

post-25850-14150820005631_thumb.jpg

post-25850-14150820006694_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I'd want to keep the 4.11 since it sounds like it's an LSD. What's wrong with the diff?

I suppose you could always move the LSD unit to another diff if this one is toast, but the 4.11 would pair very nicely with a late ZX 5-speed.

Great looking Z - I'm sure you'll love it for a long time..

I have a 4.11 with a mild mod L28 and 83 5spd. That stroker can easily spin the wheels in 1, 2, 3rd gear with a 4.11. IMHO a 4.11 is way to much gear for that car - - - I'd go with the 3.9 or even a 3.7 with that engine and those wheels/tires.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Great looking Z - I'm sure you'll love it for a long time..

I have a 4.11 with a mild mod L28 and 83 5spd. That stroker can easily spin the wheels in 1, 2, 3rd gear with a 4.11. IMHO a 4.11 is way to much gear for that car - - - I'd go with the 3.9 or even a 3.7 with that engine and those wheels/tires.

FWIW,

Carl B.

What's the rear tire width and compound?

Not sure exactly what's wrong with the 4.11....but it's definitely broken. Sounds like there are some pieces loose in the inside and probably a broken cog (or two). I'll keep it as it's an LSD--maybe it can be rebuilt? The one I have to replace it is a 3.90....will try to have that in this weekend. The motor has just over 150 miles, so I changed the oil (it took 10 quarts) and plan on breaking it in nice and easy. I figure the first 1000 miles should be a gentle warm-up for the beating that's coming! ;-)

Not sure what the tires are made of, but they're Dunlop 225/45/16's. Brand new, too--they still have the little rubber nubs on them on the tread side!

Once I get that tackled, my next move is the suspension. It's got Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, but it rides a little like a brick. OK...a LOT like a brick. He must have shortened the springs or something. I'm going to use it as a daily driver, and as I have fillings in my teeth (and I'd like them to stay there) I'm hoping to soften the ride some. Any suggestions?

Not sure exactly what's wrong with the 4.11....but it's definitely broken. Sounds like there are some pieces loose in the inside and probably a broken cog (or two). I'll keep it as it's an LSD--maybe it can be rebuilt? The one I have to replace it is a 3.90....will try to have that in this weekend. The motor has just over 150 miles, so I changed the oil (it took 10 quarts) and plan on breaking it in nice and easy. I figure the first 1000 miles should be a gentle warm-up for the beating that's coming! ;-)

I'd diagnose the problem and make sure it's the diff before doing anything else. In the meantime, you can swap the LSD unit out of the 4.11 into the 3.9 as long as they're both R200 diffs. If not, you may also encounter some issues when swapping (different mustache bar).

Not sure what the tires are made of, but they're Dunlop 225/45/16's. Brand new, too--they still have the little rubber nubs on them on the tread side!

Direzza Z1SS? Those would be nice tires. I'm sure they'll hook up fine, especially in 2nd and 3rd, no matter if your diff is a 4.11 or 3.7.

Once I get that tackled, my next move is the suspension. It's got Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, but it rides a little like a brick. OK...a LOT like a brick. He must have shortened the springs or something. I'm going to use it as a daily driver, and as I have fillings in my teeth (and I'd like them to stay there) I'm hoping to soften the ride some. Any suggestions?

Set the Illuminas to "1". If that doesn't help, I'd just go to coilovers which will have more travel (if properly sectioned) and they'd allow you to choose your spring rate while making it much easier to swap between stiffer and softer springs. I'm surprised that car doesn't have coilovers already, or does it?

Thanks for the suggestions...I've got the Illuminas on "1" already, but haven't driven it much as I'm waiting to replace the diff (I have a friend helping me). As for that, it is the diff as far as we know. Both the seller suggested it was bad and it took about 5 miles to realize it won't make it much further!

As for the air filter...heh heh...there is NOW a filter on the carbs. I took the picture when we were still working on the engine. In fact, the seller fabricated a custom airbox to match the engine and we ran the in-take out in front of the radiator with a K&N filter on it. We had to use the port normally used by the fresh air duct for the driver, so I'm out a little air, but the engine will be happy (and when the engine is happy, I'm happy!)

As for the suspension, it doesn't have coil-overs at the moment. He put in shorter springs (probably harder, too) to lower the car some and added the Tokicos....but not much else. When the road is smooth all is well, but that doesn't happen too often here in MN. The racing seats don't have much for cushioning either, so the two hour drive back (at 50mph while breaking in the engine) was pretty hard to handle. The engine sounds great--no doubt--can't wait to get to 1000 miles so I can find out what she's made of!