IGNORED

73 240 Resto Started

brentz

• 4 weeks later...

that is a amazing paint job. I will be happy if mine looks half as good when we paint this month. can't wait to see your whole thing put back together...guess I should head to the garage to finnish with the sound deadening on the interior.

KAL7467...thanks! We have been making good progress, but are now in a holding pattern waiting for the machine shop to finish the engine. It will be standard stock with new pistons and bearings. I am curious what you are using for the sound deadening material?

I am using fatmat basically a slightly cheaper version of dynomat on pretty much the entire interior and doors. And some closed cell sticky sided foam on the inside of all the plastic parts to keep them from creeking and ratteling.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the encouragement guys. We are still waiting on the L24 to drop in. We are oversizing piston bore .020 and doing an undersize on the crank, short block only. So nothing special on the engine, but hopefully will tighten things up. The head was recently rebuilt. I have also finished restoring the fuel tank, and will be installing shortly along with all new vent hoses...what a design fiasco! I have been generously using POR15 and chassis black paint to clean up many of the rusty pieces, differential, mustache bar, transmission crossmember, sway bars, heater box, half-shafts and drive shaft. Half-way through replacing U-joints in all. Gathering up some SS fastner replacements for the originals on some of the bolts and screws that look too rough (which is about all of them at this point!) Replaced floor-pan plugs and am ready to install Eastwood "fatmat" knock-off in the flooring and ceiling. A million little things to do and unfortunately having to hold down a day job! I will try to get some more pics.

• 9 months later...

Well...didn't think it was going to take this long. Here is a photo update since my last one. Engine came back from shop, it is reassembled with new oversize pistons, new bearings, all put back together. Dropped the engine&transmission in the car, installed drive-shaft and half-shafts with new u-joints. Salvaged what was left of the braking system and installed new MC and calipers on the front. Rebuilt clutch MC and replaced slave cylinder. New clutch plate, disc, and throwout bearing as well. Replaced shifter bushings, along with all tranny seals, still staying with original 4-speed. Now down to front and rear sway bars, exhaust, and tranny oil fill to be done with under the car.

Next steps are firewall sound insulation, mount the dash, and start her up!

post-3551-14150822557154_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150822554786_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150822555431_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150822556009_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150822556593_thumb.jpg