IGNORED

Oil / Oil Additive Question

Oiluj

Been using Castrol GTX 10-30, but now that then engine is fully broken-in, I'm thinking of adding some ZDDP to protect my cam.

Alternately, I'm considering using a synthetic blend oil such as Royal Purple of Castrol Edge.

Have searched the archives and the web, but it's really hard to come to any real conclusions on what's best, because most of the information is dated...

So what oil or oil addditives are others using and what are your impressions?

I know this is a controversial topic, and apologize in advance if this turns into a food fight...

Just found a couple interesting links. Looks like there are 2 good additives that work with both dino-goo and synthetic oils. They are Redline and ZDDPlus.

http://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/EngineOil2.php

http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm

http://www.zddppluscentral.com/

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1

Think I'll try one of them with Castrol GTX or Castrol Edge...

Plenty of products have a specification for the amount of ZDDP they contain. Is there a single one that makes any claims of actual wear reduction based on the sequence IVA procedure or Sequence IIIG?

http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/GasTests/IVAtest/default.htm

http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/gastests/iiigtest/default.htm

Note that flat tappet engines are used in these tests. You would think they'd jump all over that if they really did reduce wear over the proper specification oil alone.

It's gotta make you wonder.

I use Valvoline syntec 10-30. My Z seems fine with it and my flat tappet 240SX is going on 251,000 miles and runs like new.

Steve

My ZDDP of choice is www.cam-shield.com have been using it with regular oil since the refurbishment. The cost per oil change is about $4, some treatments are as high as $40. Research. The engine now has 10K miles. I will be taking the valve cover off for a look see & photos.

I was convinced to using it (any zinc / ph product) after reading several threads on cam destruction from reduced z&p in the oil over the years. I figured it was inexpensive insurance if there is any chance.

Bonzi Lon

I'm a believer in synthetic blends. Synthetic oils have polar heads that stick nicely to metal. When you shut down your engine, this keeps some oil stuck to your parts, rather than drained away into the oil pan. Then when you re-start, there's something there to lubricate your engine until the oil pressure comes up. Starting is apparently when most engine wear occurs. I use a blend, BTW, because only SOME synthetic content is needed to achieve this benefit.

That said, I've been running Chevron Delo in my Z, so as to clean up the BBQ grill that the PO sold me. I rather like the oil. Despite the fact it's formulated for a diesel engine, it has the right ZDDP and is high in detergent. I might start using 4 qts of Delo + a qt of Mobil 1, thus creating my own high-detergent, high-ZDDP synthetic blend.

FAIW, I once really liked Castrol GTX for its detergent content. It DID keep my engine very clean. However, I've seen tests (can't remember where) in which Castrol GTX was by far the very worst motor oil tested. The test involved spinning a cylindrical surface (similar to a cam) in a bath of motor oil, and applying another stationary surface to it (similar to a flat tappet) under progressively increasing pressure until the surfaces scored/galled. I swore off Castrol GTX after seeing that test.

Edited by FastWoman

Fast woman,

I too have have seen this test, actually a number of times on different sites and programs. Its actually a rather good test. That being said, I use mobile 5000 in my Z (10W40) with Lucas oil stabilizer as I was told to by an engine guy I know. From what I can tell by taking the valve cover off it makes oil sticky (in a good way) and "should" reduce dry starts. The stuff works from my experience and I don't see a reason to stop.

Also, not to highjack the thread, I've always wondered if diesal oil isn't a good way to go for Z.

Thanks

Jan

FAIW, I once really liked Castrol GTX for its detergent content. It DID keep my engine very clean. However, I've seen tests (can't remember where) in which Castrol GTX was by far the very worst motor oil tested. The test involved spinning a cylindrical surface (similar to a cam) in a bath of motor oil, and applying another stationary surface to it (similar to a flat tappet) under progressively increasing pressure until the surfaces scored/galled. I swore off Castrol GTX after seeing that test.

Wow!!! I would like to see that test. I have always thought Catrol GTX was a high quality oil. I have been using it in my cars since 1980.

Sounds like I need to find an alternative.

Marty

All IMHO...

And that pressure bearing test is also a BS test, at least for automotive oils - the FTC nailed them on that too. Its more appropriate for GL5 grease, not for an oiling situation where oil is continually supplied under pressure. They just play on the ignorance of how engine oiling systems are designed to work.

And that "90% of engine wear occurs at start-up" claim is also BS, but for a different reason. Its not due to a lack of oil, its due to a lack of heat. Combustion by products (mostly acids) collect in the upper cylinder area until the engine temps gets beyond the acid's dew point. Once that happens the oil can wash the acids down into the crankcase. Its not due to lack of oil, its due to acidic vapors that the oil can't do anything about until the vapors condense. Again, they play on ignorance.

Edited by John Coffey