IGNORED

Weber expert needed

Patcon

I am getting my 40DCOE's rebuilt. I could have done it myself if I had more time,but I got tired of looking at them all spread out on the work bench for years. One of the carbs needs a new throttle shaft. The new shaft from Pierce Manifolds is not drilled for the pump cam. What is the best way to index and drill the throttle shaft correctly? I do have a drill press, but set up and technique is my real question.

Thanks, Charles

PATCON

I am unable to give any information on WEBER Experts. But my suggestion would be to switch to either Mikuni's OER's or possibly throttle bodies. An engine machinst might be able to do it(the throttle shaft) but chances are a mistake could be made and smooth acceleration could be compromised. In addition by the time you pay for a good machinist to do it for you you're more than half way to a bolt on and tune set of good carburettors in cost. Just think about and price some decent carburettors of another make. One thing I would suggest is not getting them smaller than 44mm for all L series engines. Good Luck.

My recommended Weber carburettor guru is Mr John Passini ( RIP ). His 1968-published books ( 1. THEORY & 2. TUNING & MAINTENANCE ) have been bibles to me.

Here are some scanned pages from book 2, chapter 8, on the subject of spindles:

post-2116-14150813869931_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150813870737_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150813871435_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150813872088_thumb.jpg

Edward

Thanks for the input. A new set of carbs is out of the question. I've got 3 or 4 sets of SU's laying around, 2 2turbo motors, 1 280z motor a set of DGV downdrafts and these triples. If I were going to invest that kind of money I would get the SU's rebuilt or swap in one of the larger motors I have. If I mess up the shaft I am only out the costs of the shaft.

Alan,

I like your book. I will have to try to find one of those. That procedure sounds like a lot of fun. If I read it right you would normally drill it out while in the carb body. I had not planned on doing it that way. I thought I would make a jig and orient the new shaft the same as the original shaft then drill it out through the old pump cam (I have a new one). How critical do you think the orientation is? How noticeable will it be in driveability if the orientation is off a few degrees? The parts are so small it would be easy to be off several degrees.

Thanks, Charles

Patcon, if you are not comfortable drilling the shaft yourself and your local machinest is not equipt or overpriced, try contacting a model railroader. These guys can drill holes through a pin and they are hobbiests, like us but different. Couldn't hurt and may get you over this hurdle.