IGNORED

Shift lever hits console on 1973 240z 5 speed swap

tobbill

Hey all.

I put a 280z 5 speed into my 73 240z. Works and shifts fine.

My problem is that when I put the plastic console on, the shift lever contacts the plastic of the console (front edge where meets base of leather shift boot). On the forward gears, and pushes the transmission out of those particular gears unless I keep my hand holding it in gear.

I have read other posts regarding the earlier 240's and having to cut the transmission tunnel, which doesn't apply to me. I haven't seen anything regarding this particular issue and I'm not sure why I'm the only one having this problem.

Right now I'm using the stock 5 speed shift lever with the console off, but was wondering if there was something I could do about this? From looking at the lever from my 4 speed I can see it is bent quite a bit more than the 5 speeds, and I'm sure that's why it doesn't hit the console, but the shift pin doesn't line up with the holes. I've thought about a short shift kit maybe? Or is there a different shifter I could use?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

I'll have to venture into the garage to pull a few levers to compare. I'm thinking that Walter has the right idea. I had a type A roadster 5 speed in my 71 240Z without any problem. Swapped it for a late 5-speed and then a KA conversion. I never had an issue with the shifter but probably chose the lever that brought knob back closer to me.

On my '73 I used the shifter from the 4 speed on the '82 tranny that I just put in. No problems-in fact if I had used the one that came with the tranny I would have the same conflict you described. I'm not sure why the holes do not line up on yours, maybe it has to do with your shifter bushings?

The 4 speed shifter is actually about 3/8" longer from the pivot point to the bottom of the lever (where it actuates the shift rod selector) and this actually shortens the throw slightly.

Edited by tlorber

You're using the zx shift lever. As mentioned your bushings are probably worn, but the pin and holes should line up unless there is something in the shift rod hole.

Check my pic gallery for more info on the shifters.

The only reason the 4 spd lever seems to shorten the throw, is the lever hits the top of the shift rod cut out as seen by one of the pics in my gallery. There are marks on both sides of the lever on the longer lever. You can take a grinder at the marks so that there won't be any interference.

Darrel, I never had any interference problem. I was concerned about it because you had previously told me about that, but when I measured the depth of the hole in my tranny (shift rod cut out) it would actually permit about another 3/8" of shift rod length before bottoming out.

Darrel, I never had any interference problem. I was concerned about it because you had previously told me about that, but when I measured the depth of the hole in my tranny (shift rod cut out) it would actually permit about another 3/8" of shift rod length before bottoming out.

I never said anything about the lever bottoming out. When shifting from 1-2 or 3-4, etc, the 4 spd lever will hit the top of the shift rod cut out. So it is not getting the full throw. Whether or not it is much of a problem I don't know, I never measured or ground down the area that hits the shift rod. I just found the correct lever with the 5/16"(IIRC) difference.

You can see the marks that the longer lever made in one of the pics in my gallery.

I will hopefully be able to get out to the car this weekend and check out some these ideas. I might try to get a couple pictures of the different shifters in the car and attach them to the post. Pics are worth a thousand words I figure.

In the meantime thank you all for your help!

Toby

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

I'll have to venture into the garage to pull a few levers to compare. I'm thinking that Walter has the right idea. I had a type A roadster 5 speed in my 71 240Z without any problem. Swapped it for a late 5-speed and then a KA conversion. I never had an issue with the shifter but probably chose the lever that brought knob back closer to me.

Is this the same shifter as the one Todd welded up for me when I did the '72 4 spd conversion?

• 3 weeks later...