IGNORED

E-tek RACING '71 Parts Car Resto

e-tek

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I mixed a color and sprayed the inners - but after a TON of thought , deliberation and input from others, I decided it was too light for the classic lines that are the 240Z. So Dupli-Color is once again stepping up and sending me enough of their Deep Blue Metallic to paint the entire car - in and out.

If you want to see the color I vetoed, check it out here: E-tek/Dupli-Color FB Page

The new color will be on SOON! :cool:

Woo-Hooo!!! The E-tek Z is finally painted!!

The entire job today took 6 hours, but I did the inners and exterior all at once this time. You can see the light-blue color I mixed first awaiting it's re-caoting. First up though, a sealer coat on the exterior panels:

113_5218.JPG

I hung the hood and deck lid from a rope stretched across the shop so as to get at both sides:

113_5220.JPG

...and BAM! She's blue! I sprayed 3 coats of Dupli-Color's DIY-friendly Lacquer paint. No mixing, no thinning required. It covered extremely well,, went on like butta and the metallic sat right - the first time.

113_5225.JPG

113_5229.JPG

113_5233.JPG

113_5234.JPG

113_5235.JPG

post-18557-14150825815174_thumb.jpg

The 3-4 coats of Dupli-color clear went on really easily as well. All-told, it took 5 hours of straight spraying (including flash-times).

Lacquer doesn't have the same shine right out of the gun as do the 2-part Urethane products, but it can be "color-sanded' (wet-sanded and polished) to the same glossy finish.

113_5242.JPG

Now the fun part: re-assembly! Next spring I'll be able to pull out a perfect classic Z ready for summer cruising - and a little slalom time!!

Edited by e-tek

Pretty darn nice!

I'm encouraged to see your results using the Duplicolor products. Did you have problem finding it in stock locally? I believe you mentioned having to wait for some of it to arrive. Who did you order it from?

I'm considering attempting some self-painting this winter on the next project. Your results are leading me to believe a "decent" DIY job is in fact possible.