IGNORED

Bigger cam?

NismoZ

I have a quick question regarding a regrind cam... I currently have a 240z with a stock l28, that has su carbs, headers and exhaust...would i benefit from a cam swap that much? Let say a 460 lift with 280 duration or something around there? Also what can i expect to pay for all the parts for a a swap? I really don't want to go through all the trouble and be disappointed with the results.

One consideration might be to insure that your motor and carbs are performing properly. Find an expert Z mechanic (if you are not one) and make sure that your valves are adjusted properly, carbs are balaced and functioning optimally, that your compression is all good, etc. Maybe spending time and money on this might be worth more than you think. Once you KNOW that your motor is in top condition, chosing to install a cam (properly, of course) may or may not interest you. If all is good, then a new cam will probably be fantastic. FWIW,

That being said, my L24 has a mild cam, installed by the previous owner, don't know all the details, unfortuately. It runs like a bat out of hell. When I pick it up from the shop tomorrow, it should run like a raped ape new clutch, rebuilt tranny-"83 5spd, 3.90 diff. I can't wait.

adamr

One consideration might be to insure that your motor and carbs are performing properly. Find an expert Z mechanic (if you are not one) and make sure that your valves are adjusted properly, carbs are balaced and functioning optimally, that your compression is all good, etc. Maybe spending time and money on this might be worth more than you think. Once you KNOW that your motor is in top condition, chosing to install a cam (properly, of course) may or may not interest you. If all is good, then a new cam will probably be fantastic. FWIW,

That being said, my L24 has a mild cam, installed by the previous owner, don't know all the details, unfortuately. It runs like a bat out of hell. When I pick it up from the shop tomorrow, it should run like a raped ape new clutch, rebuilt tranny-"83 5spd, 3.90 diff. I can't wait.

adamr

thanks for your reply...the car runs great.. comp is even straight across has no issues at all...just wanted to know if it would be worth my time to install a cam without head work and such. I know some people think if you do a cam its pointless unless head work is done because the cam size is limited.. Anyway would the cam profile i suggested be a good one to go with?

That's a fairly conservative cam you mentioned. You should have no problem running that in a stock engine successfully. At the very least it will sound badass. I'm sure you will make a little more top end power as well. You getting it from MSA? I suggest replacing your rocker arms and lash pads while the cam is out.

Edited by justin260z

That's a fairly conservative cam you mentioned. You should have no problem running that in a stock engine successfully. At the very least it will sound badass. I'm sure you will make a little more top end power as well. You getting it from MSA?
no i was thinking of a regrind from delta or something...so you think it would be worth my time to throw a cam of that size in? do you know where the best place to buy lash pads and rockers at? Edited by NismoZ

I would do a cam about that size if it were my car and I had the extra cash. You can prpbably get a local regrind for under $100.

With a 270 intake and 280 exhaust duration cam with .460 lift, I would want to run a .170" lash pad. Which would run you about $65. For the set.

Brand new rocker arms on the other hand would probably run you around $300. You can get those at a local auto parts store.

Edited by justin260z

I would do a cam about that size if it were my car and I had the extra cash. You can prpbably get a local regrind for under $100.

With a 270 intake and 280 exhaust duration cam with .460 lift, I would want to run a .170" lash pad. Which would run you about $65

Brand new rocker arms on the other hand would probably run you around $300.

crap ill pass on the new rocker arms..ive heard people get away with using them over and over again anyways. i would like to get a local regrind but i don't know of any that are around here, maybe somebody can chime in on that...so where can i find these lash pads besides MSA? Edited by NismoZ

Look take the time and get new rockers. While the rockers themselves are pretty darn strong, why not replace everything. I think MSA sells everything in a kit for like 599 or so. It come with springs, lash pads, rockers, cam, etc. if I recall. Its better to save up and do it right, than to cut corners. So you may have to save up for another month or two, the peace of mind is worth it.

I agree with Zedyone Kenobi - get all the parts and do it right the first time. I put in the 270/280 .460 lift cam from MSA and really like it. The power comes on strong at about 3,000 rpm. One thing I suggest - get a variety of lash pad thicknesses and take the time to check the wipe pattern on each rocker to make sure it is centered. I suggest at least a combination of 160 and 170 thickness - those are the two thicknesses I used to get the wipe pattern the same on all the valves.

I've used my rockers on 3 cams, no problems. I'd go bigger than that cam you're looking at, but if you do you run into issues like valve spring coil bind and retainers hitting stem seals. These are not insurmountable obstacles, but it will take a little doing to get around them. I think its worth the effort. I started with a high lift low duration cam and then went bigger to a .490/280. The first cam made a little different noise at idle and gained me a couple mpg but was not at all what I was looking for. The second one rocked.

I've used my rockers on 3 cams, no problems. I'd go bigger than that cam you're looking at, but if you do you run into issues like valve spring coil bind and retainers hitting stem seals. These are not insurmountable obstacles, but it will take a little doing to get around them. I think its worth the effort. I started with a high lift low duration cam and then went bigger to a .490/280. The first cam made a little different noise at idle and gained me a couple mpg but was not at all what I was looking for. The second one rocked.
Thanks Jon, i would like to go bigger but im going to save that for the 3.1 stroker...right now i basically want the biggest drop in cam that will work with stock motor and valve train. how would a 460 lift 280 duration cam perform over a stock cam?