IGNORED

Clock repair for Z's

• 3 weeks later...

I want to share my experience with Ron - He received my clocks on Jan 27 and I got them back on Feb 19. One was a regular 240Z clock that he did the quartz conversion on. The other was my two button rally clock. I have to say I am impressed with the information he provided regarding his findings after inspecting the rally clock and oscillator. He gave me a bit of a lesson on dendrite growth as it related to the burned resistor he found - included a picture also. The clocks look brand new. I have attached before (the first two), the ones Ron provided me (next 3), and after pictures (last 3). I highly recommend that if you need clock work - Ron is the ONE!!

post-11611-14150813865088_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813865427_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813866036_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813866493_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813866748_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813867337_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813867453_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150813867558_thumb.jpg

I just got my two-knob rally clock back from Ron too. He seems to be the only one to be able to repair both the clocks and oscillators on these rare clocks. The bearings and motor gear were so worn that they had to be replaced and Ron made the needed parts, since they aren't available anywhere. There were also a couple of defective capacitors in the oscillator that he replaced. All of that with a turn around time of 11 days from the time he received it until I got it back. Ron also educated me on the oscillators. Apparently there are different versions and the one I have is the later revision, which is quartz crystal controlled, so it doesn't make a humming noise like the earlier ones.

Ron rebuilt the movement of a calendar clock (some refer to as the single knob rally clock) a few months ago. After I got it back I modified the case and wiring to get it get it to work in a 240z.

Ron is definitely the gold standard in Z clock repair and I highly recommend his work.

-Mike

post-9102-14150813867722_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415081386848_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813869076_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813869502_thumb.jpg

Yeah, its too bad that I don't have any before pictures to share. There is a night and day difference. In fact, I will have to polish up all my other gauges before I reinstall my dash, just so they don't look bad in comparison. I have heard so many stories about these clocks not being repairable, especially the oscillators. Ron is a magician with these clocks.

-Mike

What a great work:) Ron makes everyone happy.

The two knobs Rally clock has two types,earlier and later.Both face is just same but back of the clock, the bracket is different.

Also the oscillator has two types,earlier and later but we can not see the difference from the appearance.

Shopping on Yahoo Japan auction, we do not see many but sometimes rarely see two knobs clock and oscillator.Usually they are on sale separately, this is the problem.It is very difficult to find (buy) right muching clock and oscillator unless you are very lucky. Sellers usually don not mention what year and month (they just for get or simply do not know) so buyers have to buy it anyway whatever they are listed on the auction.

Most Fairlady Zs have rally clock, we do not think it is rare but in the auction we have to say it is rare.

kats

PS: attached link http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/oldpack.html

is a NOS one with a box,you can see how Ron's work is great ,repaired clocks look just like new. This picture proves it.

Kats,

The oscillator boxes are interchangeable with either early/late RC clocks. So, if you have a clock and your looking for an oscillator any one will work. However, the parts for the later osc box were manufacture (JACO) unique and no longer available.

Ron