IGNORED

Restoring chromed plastic trim on door panels

mlaw7

I'm sure environment and weather had lots to do with the strip peeling off. I placed my door panels on the garage wall in 1980. When I pulled them down 28 years later, the strips on both had come off and was just hanging on the last 3 inches closest to the dash. They were never moved or touched so I imagine the constant hot and cold over the years had something to do with it.

Bonzi Lon

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably end up peeling the rest of the chrome off of mine, and then painting the strips black. Eventually, I'll recover the whole panels and do away with the strip altogether. I don't understand why Nissan put a single wooden trim strip on the doors, and nooooowhere else in the car. haha, sorta looks out of place.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been thinking of painting mine with modeling paint. If it sticks to a Tamiya, it should stick to a Datsun:bulb:

I don't think the problem is a matter of getting paint to stick, but to get something that closely resembles the factory chrome coating.

-Mike

• 1 month later...

I tried the chrome pin stripe tape on mine and it looks pretty decent, but the main problem is getting the tape to lay down/stick to the curved molding on the door panels. I also tried applying contact cement to the chrome tape hoping it might form to the curved molding. The contact cement worked, but was a messy job and I was affraid of getting the cement on the door panels. I'm also not sure how well the tape would hold up in summer heat. Mine hasn't come loose and unless you get close you don't notice it is not comformed to the curve of the molding.