IGNORED

Repro headlight covers

240ZGL

This topic has been covered :surprised quite extensively several times. I was interested to hear the comment about the lens shape - the "harder edge" description. I DO notice the difference!

Headlight covers in America were legeslated out around 1967 or 1968 and we never got them. They were standard fitment on the S30 / Fairlady Z-L model and optional on all the other models. They were also standard on the Fairlady ZG or HS30-H. I bought a set several years ago at the going rate of about $500 for new. I also bought a set from Eiji - reproductions - and they were around $300 at the time and did not include the hardware. Both sets fit well on my FRP headlight scoops. I don't have metal scoops to compare.

I would imagine these pictures have been posted before...

post-4148-14150804076292_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150804076457_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150804076543_thumb.jpg

Ok, so the style of repro ring you had wouldn't fit the car, but the lens would, eh... In any case, they look great, and my feelings are usually divided on whether I like headlight covers or not.

...I have no idea how on topic this is... But yours seem to be of a different style than the ones I typically see, with harder edges, as per this:

1.jpg

The harder edged ones, were developed and sold by aftermarket vendors here in the US. They extend the side body line around to the end of the hood, making that harder edge you note. I'm not certain, but as I recall the earliest vendor of headlight covers here in the US was BRE. They first sold the Fiberglass covers, for use on race cars, then offered the clear plastic versions.

The Nissan OEM Covers were more rounded and smooth out that hard body line.

Which typically come with no mounting rings, but a rubber seal allegedly to be affixed with 3m tape. Which would be the route I would take, as there's no way I'm drilling into my car. :finger: Though admittedly, the chrome rings on yours do sorta make the car... (I'm assuming those are the original, optional style... am I right?)

"Original Style"?? I guess that depends on how you think of it. The Nissan Factory OEM head light covers remind me of the production originals on the earlier E-Type.

Many people here in the US didn't like the trim ring sticking up above the body and thought that they looked to "added on" rather than designed in. They also objected to the relatively high price charged though the Parts Dept.

How well do the above style fit? Perhaps owners of both styles could post pics and inspire me? :)

The fiberglass head light nacelles on the 70-73 Z's have quite large production tolerances allowed, so it seems that no two sets are perfectly alike (that's an understatement). The factory covers overlap the headlight nacelles so perfect fit on the inside edge is not needed, then use an overlapping trim ring to hold them in place. (and thus they stick up above the body surface)

If you buy the aftermarket type, which mount more or less flush to the body surface, because they mount inside the headlight nacelles, you'll find that they don't fit perfectly inside the fiberglass headlight nacelles either - for the same reason - production variations in the dimensions. This is far less a problem with the 73 steel headlight nacelles. Nonetheless, you usually have to "shave-to-fit" the plastic covers inside the headlight nacelles. Very seldom does anyone get it perfect on the first set they install. (for that matter neither on the fifth or tenth set!). Nonetheless from a few feet way they are close enough for most people.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'm just shy a driver's side lens and I'll have a full set with the OEM trim rings. It took me awhile to put the three out of four big pieces together and they're not perfect, but didn't cost anything like $300 to $600 on up. The passenger side and lens came from Hawaii from a nice guy who had smashed up his driver's side cover and ring. I think he sent it to me for the cost of shipping. My driver's side ring came from a great ClassicZCar member who had the rings, but no lenses and bought a set of repos with both and let me have the ring for a more than fair price. I am still curious to see how Will and Jay work things out. It would be nice to have new and improved covers and rings that look like OEM. Even the improved lenses would be a start if the price is right. Gary D.

"Original Style"?? I guess that depends on how you think of it. The Nissan Factory OEM head light covers remind me of the production originals on the earlier E-Type.

What's wrong with the term "Original Style"? The factory headlamp covers were designed specifically for the S30-series Z by the team that designed the whole car, and were part of the design from quite an early stage. They were offered as an extra-cost option right from the very first sales to the general public. If that doesn't qualify the term "Original" then I don't know what does.

Citing the rather obvious Jaguar E-Type is perhaps lacking something in imagination. The ridge on the early E-Type's headlamp covers makes them look quite different to those on the Z, and they look far closer to the type of headlamp trim ring seen on Italian-styled bodies made for the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Abarth, Aston Martin and many others by PininFarina, Zagato, Drogo, Vignale, Michelotti et al. The team at Nissan would have been influenced by these designs just as much - if not more - than the E-Type.

They were standard fitment on the S30 / Fairlady Z-L model and optional on all the other models. They were also standard on the Fairlady ZG or HS30-H.

In fact the headlamp covers were an extra-cost optional extra, and were not included even in the 'Custom Pack' for the Z-L models. However, the kind of people paying the extra for the Z-L and 432 models were more likely to have specified the headlamp covers than those who plumped for the cheaper 'Std' model S30-S.

The HS30-H Fairlady 240ZG was the only model to have it's headlamp covers as non-option standard equipment.

Hello,let me jump in.

I attached my hand writing about holes.There are 3 types I think.

And how to of the NISSAN OEM cover with the mounting screws and guides.The screws are special, the big one has slightly round head.

kats

post-3193-14150804077097_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150804077553_thumb.jpg

Mr.Matsuo wanted to put the cover as a standard,he is still quite often saying about that.That must be his regret.Also the grill,he wanted it goes down until the bottom,but it has got itself cut half.Everything is due cost...

I have used covers,I tried mount them in test.Just rely on the lamp case,it scared me almost fallen off!!

I love both style.But the plastic clear lens must be clean a lot more.If the repro's lens has just same shape as original,I want to buy.

Please note the curve/shape of the original cover.

kats

post-3193-14150804077995_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150804078534_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150804079067_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150804079496_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats

From the start, I wanted the OEM covers. They finish off the nose of the car, they look like they belong there. The rings add just the right amount chrome. The lenses connect the lines of the body. They don't look like there an add on, they just look right.