IGNORED

Repro headlight covers

240ZGL

Anyone else out there bought a set of these reproduction headlight cover sets only to find they don't quite fit. There close but it's a no-go on the bottom hole. You really can't flatten them to make it fit because you loose the outside curve. I got lucky because I bought a set of rings ( that we talked about here on the board) about a year ago. There not new but they are original. Anyway I popped out the lenses dropped them in the other rings and damm they fit perfect. I used aluminum nut-serts for the install. works great. Anyway here's a pic. Oh, I did a spring and strut install this week too. Got it down 1.5" sits real nice now.

post-11460-14150804065635_thumb.jpg

post-11460-14150804066047_thumb.jpg

Well that's just it, I have a set of the reproduction rings and they don't fit. There too short at the bottom. The ones I have on the car are a set of originals I bought without lenses. I got lucky that I had them. The repros are going on the shelf.

Ok, so the style of repro ring you had wouldn't fit the car, but the lens would, eh... In any case, they look great, and my feelings are usually divided on whether I like headlight covers or not.

...I have no idea how on topic this is... But yours seem to be of a different style than the ones I typically see, with harder edges, as per this:

1.jpg

Which typically come with no mounting rings, but a rubber seal allegedly to be affixed with 3m tape. Which would be the route I would take, as there's no way I'm drilling into my car. :finger: Though admittedly, the chrome rings on yours do sorta make the car... (I'm assuming those are the original, optional style... am I right?)

How well do the above style fit? Perhaps owners of both styles could post pics and inspire me? :)

once in a while there's a ebay seller from thialand that sells sets of covers with chrome rings.( i beleive to be OEM ) they usually sell in the $300 to $400 range. i can never find feedback on these items from buyers. that makes me apprehensive about the seller along with the country of origin. anyone here ever dealt with this seller?

My chrome rings fit reasonably well (bought them back in 2005-6), but had to be flexed slightly to mount up properly. Small 1-2mm gap along the underside, but it allows moisture to evaporate without condensing on the inside of the lens. My seller was US-based, but had Japan contacts. They weren't OEM, but were JDM repros.

Ejji at Datsun Spirit sells them from time to time-and clearly advertises them as repro.

I am still after making them available, and with the help of another member, do aim to get that accomplished-onny with a beter fit and better seals.

Will