IGNORED

What's the earliest Auto Z?

kurtwwalters

Automatic transmissions were available from day one in Japan.

Really.....? Wonder how I missed that fact.....

Did you mean that A/T's were available "from day one", in the 240-Z's in Japan? That would put day one around Oct. of 1971 for the JDM 240-Z's,

FWIW,

Carl B.

To follow up a little more. The trans case is 3 parts as opposed to the later versions that are one piece. We had to order about 20 main bands for it to get the right one. The one we got could have grown potatoes on the box, really dusty. The converter was the same as the later year models so it was easy to get.

The car is a series 1 (duh) and survived a mild hit in the right front very early one. When I got the car I did not even notice the damage until we tore it down. ODO shows about 98K and appears to be original. I bought the car in 92 and then life changed and it sat, stored inside until 2 years ago when I started the tear down and restoration. It does have the 2400 cover also. I am pretty sure over 40 years some info has been lost. Carl, I think I will be asking many questions as time goes on.

Once I get a little more familiar I will post a thread with pix. Looks like a good group here. Richard.

Edited by Richard Oben

And miss that one indeed he did, Alan!

Carl, would you please send me a photo of a "JDM 240Z"? Wouldn't you rather be an expert and use the nomenclature properly? I believe you wanted to say Fairlady Z or Fairlady 240Z, didn't you?

Now, I haven't been completely correct either. A 3-speed automatic transmission was available in the Fairlady Z-L (S30) from October 1970. It was not available in the S30-S until March of 1971.

I will be picking up number 7969 this weekend and it's an automatic car. I thought that the auto cars came later. I don't yet know the build date of this car - any educated guesses? I'm guessing maybe 7 or 8 of 70. It's titled as a 70. thanx in advance guys...

Do you want to sel HLS30-7969 ? I have HLS30-7996 and looking for sister car with a as closest VIN nr