IGNORED

What's the earliest Auto Z?

kurtwwalters

I will be picking up number 7969 this weekend and it's an automatic car. I thought that the auto cars came later. I don't yet know the build date of this car - any educated guesses? I'm guessing maybe 7 or 8 of 70. It's titled as a 70. thanx in advance guys...

Earliest build date I've seen for automatics is 9/70. The parts CD tends to confirm that, as the automatic specific parts are all listed as starting in 9/70 as well.

That said, when you plug #7969 in the Z Register, it sure looks like it would most likely have been 8/70. Which would make it a real early automatic.

When you see it, if it still has the original engine, I'd be curious to note whether it has a "OHC 2400" cam cover or not. I'm betting not...

Hi, Arne...

I've often wondered about the cut-off date on that valve cover. My 01/70 build has the 2400, but others I've seen (late '70, '71) have the OHC version.

Has there been any set date established for that of which you are aware?

Regards,

Zhome.com says it is #9262 an 8/70 car.

1970 HLS30 Series-I

Notable VIN Month Highlights

HLS30 00501 01 First Series-I built Jan. 1970

HLS30 006072 06 Lowest VIN# Sold/Titled As A 1971 Model Year Car

HLS30 009262 08 First Automatic Trans Put in Z Cars. Valve Cover changed from Nissan 2400 OHC to NISSAN OHC.

HLS30 011730 10 Highest VIN# Sold/Titled As A 1970 Model Year Car

HLS30 018124 12 Last Full Month Of Series-I Body Style Production (rear hatch vents)

Note 3: Series-I production carried over into Jan. of 1971. Series-II production also started in Jan. of 1971.

Hi, Arne...

I've often wondered about the cut-off date on that valve cover. My 01/70 build has the 2400, but others I've seen (late '70, '71) have the OHC version.

Has there been any set date established for that of which you are aware?

Regards,

Best I could determine was that the 2400 cover was phased out around 10/70 for manual transmission cars. To the best anyone can determine, no automatics came with the 2400 cover.

Kurt, not a definite answer but one thing I find interesting is revealed on pg 97-1 of the microfiche. Key 11 - Part # 00921-11810 is a cotter pin for an automatic brake pedal. It has a from date of 03/70. Sounds like a very interesting car.

I am getting the car from the 2nd owner - his dad owned it. It is a very original car. I'm interested to see what is on the valve cover. I also have a 10/70 parts car with the NISSAN OHC valve cover.

Sorry Mike, but your info is bad on the lowest VIN titled as a 71. My 3486 is build date of 4/70 holds that distinction. I don't know the story on it, but that's what's on the title.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback.

I am getting the car from the 2nd owner - his dad owned it. It is a very original car. I'm interested to see what is on the valve cover. I also have a 10/70 parts car with the NISSAN OHC valve cover.

Sorry Mike, but your info is bad on the lowest VIN titled as a 71. My 3486 is build date of 4/70 holds that distinction. I don't know the story on it, but that's what's on the title.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Kurt,

Actually, its not my info. I guess it is Carl's since it is from his zhome.com site. I think all of the specific VIN info is the "as yet reported" though, and not meant to be a definitive guide. I'm sure Carl would be interested in getting any updated info as to the lowest 71 VIN, the earliest automatic, or the latest 2400 valve cover.

-Mike

To put this in perspective, you guys are talking about automatic transmissions in America or HLS30 models. Automatic transmissions were available from day one in Japan. One of the North American test vehicles had an automatic transmission.

• 5 months later...

I came across this old picture of Mr. K's Z being shown at the 1994 National Z convention in San Diego. I was surprised that the display sign indicates this is the "first automatic transmission Z in the US (Jan '72)". I wonder what all the 1970 and 1971 Z owners with automatic transmissions at the show thought when they saw this?LOL

-Mike

post-9102-14150804022926_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...