IGNORED

ZG Production Figures

Tony D

The full results of the HybridZ wind tunnel tests have not actually been made public as yet. I believe they are going to be published in an upcoming magazine article, and after that we will be free to discuss them in detail on this and other forums.

I suggest we await the publication of the full results before discussing this any further, and respect the wishes of the team that carried out the tests.

Alan T.

I have a certified set of the FIA docs also and I've got a page showing certification for the G-nose as of Sept. 1971. The document numbers are:

FIA homol. No: 3023

Amendment: 5/5V

JAF: GT-010 V-5 46.12.31

As far as the FIA are concerned, it is the final version of the amendment ( ie 9/8V ) that carries most weight, as it is the one that is on the most up-to-date version of homologation no. 3023.

As far as Tony's problem is concerned, 9/8V should help him the most I think.

Follow it, I think 10% of the funds were mine! LOL

I will parrot Alan's comments RE the test in the tunnel. It was not a Nissan Nose, and I'm sure you saw my posts regarding that fact there Carl. As you can see from the discussion there, and being as nebulous as I can till the article comes out, they discovered 'other things' after testing the G-Nose that run in-line with the dissimilarities noted in both Alan and My comments regarding the nose they did use...this alone would explain the effects mentioned. "A G-Nose is a G-Nose" is not a proper commentary about parts available here in the USA.

Aside from the Wind Tunnel Testing, the big thing the G-Nose does from my experience is keep the front end planted far better at speed. Reduced Drag is great, but if the front wheels are taking flight and have sketchy contact at 140+ it's pretty much useless. Nissan's testing revealed a top speed increase of 15kph with the G-Nose over comparable Non-G-Nose Equipped 240's---this does not jibe with the 'increased drag' contention.

My Street 240 has had a G-Nose (With Teeth), Front Spoiler, and a Waletail for quite some time, all due to testing I did with static pressure probes and instrumentation in the early 90's. I was eager to support the tests to see if they supported my original conclusions. There were some interesting surprises for me in that testing (Article....Article....) and it has given me some verified items to attend to should we decide to run Sans-G-Nose at some point (Like In September) just to "prove a point".

With the Appendix Alan E-Mailed me this morning (Thanks again, Alan!) I feel much better about the whole situation. Mr. monza might not like the documentation...but then again, he's the one that posted the $100. I only wish we got the money for a Beer and Pizza Fest afterwards.... Stewards always get the $$$....

Without revealing any pre-publication news (while some might think there is a link between the aero-wind tunnel test results and the last Harry Potter book due out later this week, there is no concrete proof at this point), I believe I can say this about the questions being raised re: gnose results.

The gnose used in the test and those used in the original "works" race cars are not similar. Therefore any comparsion between the two is truely apples and oranges.

And yes, I have and will be making additional modifications to my aftermarket gnose to increase it's usefulness.

I've said that for some years, it was nice to have Alan mention it with photodocumentation to back it up. My thousands of words were really rendered moot when his photos showed exactly the differences.

And the testing showed there is a functional difference as well...it's not just cosmetic! Lots of interesting information in those tests. Some stuff surprised me as well re: some parts.

Hehehehe "Nebulosity"! LOL

I dont know if this is any help

It's from the USA Nissan Competition parts book cira 1984.

Anyone have the USA Nissan Competition parts book from 74, 75, 76 - with a picture of the G-Nose? Or any of the Nissan Sports Option catalogs with a picure of the G-Nose from the mid 70's?

Alan said the early type G-Nose did not have the "air-con" ducts... I wonder if that is the style sold here earlier than 1978.

Carl B.

Replicas are available from Japan, like this one

Yes thanks - that site seems to show both types.. with and without the additional "air-con" ducting. Alan - am I interpreting the meaning of your term "air-con" ducts correctly? Tony D are these the "teeth" you refernced?

Carl B.

Nissan Fairlady Z parts catalog, models S30, HS30 and PS30 dated 1972 with revisions up through March 1974 showing Blant Nose arse'y - Lower P/N 98520-E8700 and updated to N3256. This picture does not show the ducting.

post-4148-14150800801138_thumb.jpg