IGNORED

240Z Parts Variations

hls30.com

Ron ,

yes, we want to illustrate all parts variations in the first '69-'73 S30s, on that note here are few more:

Variation in steering column covers (I took the top covers off the make the shape at the steering wheel more easily seen).

L to R

48470E4600 Earliest

48472N3300 -8/72

48470N3600 -76

bottom Early 2 seater sill plate

middle later sill plate(260Z)

top 2+2 sill Plate

post-4106-14150799678617_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799678944_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Let me take a crack at explaining the strange engine #'s, chassis #, and year the car was produced.

For those of you that don't know, when Datsun z cars came off the assembly line they went threw a post production inspection. Some of the cars passed, with no problems, and were assinged a month and year build date. When other cars, that failed the above named inspection, they were recycled and put back on the assembly line for further fit and finish. If the engines, transmissions, or other components needed to be changed, later parts #'s were used.

That is why, when you look at 240z's side by side it can get confusing, i know because i own #1651, build date, 1/70. After checking all the supporting documents, with the selling dealer, the P. O., we all came to the same conclusion, my car went through the line, twice.

I'm very confident my information is correct, as i was a line mechanic for Datsun from 1973-1975, and we got tech. bulletins all the time, on this type of information.

We also got factory training, in Chicago, 4 times a year, where these topics came up all the time.

I hope this helps, Dannys 240 z

• 4 months later...
Some of the part numbers and my suppositions so far-don't take any of this as gospel-these parts were collected from salvage yards and they could have been moved from other cars to where I found them. The partnumbers/my ideas are not necessarily fact-they are based on the june 1974 USA & Canada Parts catalog. Jump in if you have history, doubts, or interest.

Will

Will,

The picture attachment you show of the heater control slide knobs in your post #23 have me wondering. Is it possible that the part numbers shown are for the opposite knobs? I have always thought that the more rounded knobs were the earlier parts numbers., ie, 68847-E4600. My memory isn't that good but I am pretty sure that those more rounded (no hard corners) knobs were on my series 1 when new.

Any opinions from anyone? Thanks.

If I knew how, I would add the picture from your thread, Will.

Dan

I think Will's labeling is right. I have always had 1972 or earlier 240Z's (5/72 and earlier) and I have never seen the more rounded ones that he identified as being from 7/72 and later. I just checked #32 and #210 and both have the more square shaped ones. I am attaching Will's picture for reference.

-Mike

post-9102-14150806223981_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike B

Thanks Will. I am still not totally convinced, but maybe Chris will see this for further varification.

Are you still thinking of reproducing those little black plastic rounded washers that are one of the external mounting items for early antennas? Not the black rubber dome thing next to the quarter panel, but the thick black plastic washer under the chrome mounting nut.

And, Mike, you and Will are in all probability correct but I just can't get that image of the more rounded knob out of my mind. Thanks for your help and clarification.

Dan

I have the square knobs.

Will and I have been talking about making molds and casting parts. I have been using "Smooth-On" products to make silicone rubber molds and casting new rigid parts in urethane. Epoxy resins are now available and they can be used with metal powder fillers. This work is rather involved and it takes some practice to get good at it. I think Will has a vacuum box which gets the bubbles out of the mold liquid - something I would need. Sure, a gasket for the antenna base could be made.

post-4148-14150806226379_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150806227102_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150806227825_thumb.jpg

I have the square knobs.

Will and I have been talking about making molds and casting parts. I have been using "Smooth-On" products to make silicone rubber molds and casting new rigid parts in urethane. Epoxy resins are now available and they can be used with metal powder fillers. This work is rather involved and it takes some practice to get good at it. I think Will has a vacuum box which gets the bubbles out of the mold liquid - something I would need. Sure, a gasket for the antenna base could be made.

So, does the casting process ruin your pretty NOS parts? that would be a shame.

Marty