IGNORED

240Z Parts Variations

hls30.com

Alan,

Just a poke of Z fun and I know exactly what you speak about. Over the past few years, I have taken great delight from learning about the cars that never arrived in America and thus what made the American exports the popular cars they came to be. I find it highly ironic that a society so engrossed in options and luxuries received the basic stripped down version and point to this as evidence of how unsure Nissan was of their world marketing ideas at the time. Thanks for posting the pages of model information again. My last post came from those references.

It seems I have made a mistake. I said that the correct way to designate the HLS30 U was with a space as the parts manuals I have indicate such for the four-speed transmission type. However, to answer Dan's question I see the information typed differently on the only source I have indicating the U, UV, and UN suffix.

I'll have to go looking for the other thread you speak about, Alan. Research through the parts manuals will provide evidence of the various parts associated with the Canadian and California variants.

Chris

post-4148-14150799242557_thumb.jpg

Alan,

I appreciate your insight, and your explanations.

As you know, I do think of all variations of S30(S31s) as a family. what I am trying to collect here is a record of the DNA alterations within that that family-actually to get at the changes that were undocumented(as far as I have found) by Nissan-no part number change accompanied the part change-and more probably due to the interpretation of parts suppliers.

For instance:

There were three heater fan control knob variations that I have(so far I have only pictured two), but only two part numbers are listed in the parts books.

There is only one part number for an antenna, yet, there are at least three variations in the trim(embossed hitachi insignia, satin finished, no embossing and satin finished, and polished and chrome plated)

There is also only a single part number for the heater control panel vent, yet there are two variations, one with no supporting webbing, and the later one with.

I want to show the differences that appeared through the life of the The entire family of 240Z cars, those that the factory called for, and those that it evidently didn't notice.

Will

Just curious Chris (26th) about the engine number. Why does it say "2338"? I thought the engine# matched the VIN. Just curious.

Nice thread BTW. I'm looking for the curved/rounded choke handle. Seems that nobody sells that type. Anyone know where I can get one?

Jim

Nice thread BTW. I'm looking for the curved/rounded choke handle. Seems that nobody sells that type. Anyone know where I can get one?

Jim

Try Charley Osborne at Zedd Findings, or any/all of the other used parts sources.

Will

PS, I'm sure Chris will chime in too, but if the vin matches the engine number in a 240Z, you probably have a serious paperwork issue to correct with the P.O. )the car vin/data plates are probably not be original, and the paperwork will probably have been falsified) I have never seen a 240Z with a engine number matching the vin-though I have absolutely not checked every 240Z.

Will

I'll see if I can dig it up. (Haven't put the car back together completely yet) Memory says that it is 23654 on dash and plates. Engine says 30xxx. The previous owner said it was the original engine but he did send the engine out for a rebuild. To be 6000 digits off is a lot but seeing 26thZ's engine #2338 gives some hope.

Jim

Jim,

I would say that there is a lot of hope for your having a numbers matching car. My car is numbers matching, about 2,000 numbers older than yours, and my engine is just shy of 6,000 numbers greater than my vin. It is one of the last series 1 cars produced with a build date of 1/71.

Dan

Happy New Year to you all!

I see the usual bantering is still in progress!!!!

I've had my head down and away from the site, however History always interests me and I awakened from that sleep to discover this thread.

A suggestion has been made to Sticky the thread.

Do you want this entire thread "stickied"? or would you like a new thread with a Welcome annoucement?

Cheers

An awakened Zedrally.....

Some of the part numbers and my suppositions so far-don't take any of this as gospel-these parts were collected from salvage yards and they could have been moved from other cars to where I found them. The partnumbers/my ideas are not necessarily fact-they are based on the june 1974 USA & Canada Parts catalog. Jump in if you have history, doubts, or interest.

Will

post-4106-14150799245431_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799245661_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799246206_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799246438_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799246624_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150799246928_thumb.jpg

Ok! I'll get back to the topic after a comment about 26th and matching numbers. 26th was supposedly built in 11/69 and she was delivered on 4/70 with engine number 2338. I have all the papers. 27th has no papers but was supposedly built in 10/69 and her engine number is 2162. Splane that one, Datsunites! I say "supposedly" because that is the date on the door jamb tag. The engine bay tag lists the chassis serial number as well as the engine number and "matching numbers" means that the number stamped on the block and the number stamped on the firewall match the tag in the engine bay. Engine numbers don't match chassis numbers.

Will,

I am always hard pressed to put application dates on these parts. About the best I can seem to do is associate early and late. But your idea could be a thesis project! I can think of all sorts of parts. There is a third type of seat belt hook; a metal one covered in black plastic. How about the rubber hood adjustment bumbers? Early chrome Z quarter panel emblems - hollow and solid cast. I think you can still buy coat hook buttons from http://www.z-tekmfg.com/cat1.html Great project! Do I understand this correctly; these parts all have the same part #?