IGNORED

Top End Performance triangulated rear strut bar...

Jayru

I have to agree about the pop-ups on PDK, it makes navigating the site VERY painful. Please pass on that they really MUST change providers and eliminate this issue.

The PDK bar, although it is a more complicated installation, will strengthen the entire front unibody of the car. We used an old racer trick on the front swaybar mount to improve the structual strength of that section of the frame rail. With this modification your unibody car will hold up to spirited driving a lot longer.

And just what was that 'old racer trick' you used? Pix and description please...

texasz, the "trick" is the support to replace the front swaybar mount with a plate that mounts to the top of the frame rail, two crush tubes that go through the frame rail to a support plate on the bottom of the frame rail.

Buy a PDK brace and you will have all the parts you need for this mod. For pic's you can go to my gallery with some of the early pics of the strut bar installation.

I would suggest calling PDK and telling them how you feel about their site. I mentioned it the other day when I spoke to Mark.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why you guys are having such a problem with the TEP bar, it really fit near perfect on my car.

I had to enlarge 2 holes just about 1/16th of an inch. I have had a crazy busy few weeks, but i will try and snap some pics off when i get a chance.

Jay

I don't know why you guys are having such a problem with the TEP bar, it really fit near perfect on my car.
ZIII and I compared measurements of our strut tower spacing and found they were within 1/16". So unless both of our cars are tweaked in the same way, it's more likely that the bar they built for him was out of spec. That's a quality issue, and while that can happen to any small shop, their response to him was pretty much "It's your problem, not ours."

Every company makes a mistake now and then. The difference is how they do (or don't) handle it and make it right.

I'm glad that your bar fit, but when I buy bars this spring, there is no way I'm going to take a chance with them. How do I know if the bar I get will fit like yours, or ZIII's?

Every company makes a mistake now and then. The difference is how they do (or don't) handle it and make it right.

I'm glad that your bar fit, but when I buy bars this spring, there is no way I'm going to take a chance with them. How do I know if the bar I get will fit like yours, or ZIII's?

Thats the way I feel. I bought the TEP bars and the rear fit fine, but the front did not fit at all, did not fit on 240ZTT's 240 either, or Daddz's 240 for that matter. Matter of fact out of the three 240's and four 280's between us...it would only fit in one 280. I therfore bought Ron's bars from PDK and have been happy ever since. Just my $0.02

Daniel,

Well, today I mounted the TEP rear strut bar. I don’t want to tell you how long it took as I am a slow and methodical worker and I wasn’t trying for any speed records.

First, in order to get the bar to fit correctly I had to enlarge all the mounting holes on both sides. One side required about 1/8th inch the other side just a tad less. The reason for taking from both sides is because the bar itself must fit between the towers. This was a trial and error routine, as I wanted to take as little off as possible. Once the holes were properly aligned I did have a problem with the bar itself fitting between the towers and I had to force the bar down onto the bolts. This resulted in a small tear in the vinyl on one shock tower, something I was not too happy about. Anyway, got it in and bolted down. I did not secure the bottom u-shaped brace to the shock tower simply because I was not thrilled about drilling another hole in the tower. However, the u-shaped bracket was very tight up against the tower and I clamped it as tight as it would go.

Now, for the results. Went for a long drive, about 20 miles hwy and 10 back roads. I cannot say I noticed any difference at all. Let me just say that my car is already pretty tight (front/rear sways, front strut bar, poly bushings everywhere and tokico shocks and springs). I wasn’t expecting a miracle and I didn’t get one either. The bar looks nice, it’s there and my fire extinguisher will bolt on to it nicely… that’s about all I can say…..

Thanks for the update George. It's interesting that you didn't notice any difference. My first thought is that the more stiff and aggressive your suspension and bars are, the MORE benefit you would get from the strut brace as they would be transferring greater forces to the unibody causing to flex more. Hmmm, not sure what to make of this.

Daniel, the answer is pretty simple. The rear section of our cars is pretty strong. the strut supports roof line all go to support the rear suspension section of our cars. The rear strut bar although nice to look at does very little to support the handling of our cars as the rear body section of these cars is well supported.

The front bar, on the other hand is not, and that is where you will see a significant change in handling charactoristics. PDK makes a rear bar because there was so much demand for them to "match" the front bar.

Can you say marketing!

Wow. I disagree. Yes, the rear is probably the strongest part of the Z unibody. It's still an EXTREMELY flexible unibody structure. Just listen to all the panels creak going in and out of driveways!!! Mine creaked a lot less after installing a rear bar. A friend of mine completely eliminated all the creaking and groaning by welding in a roll bar and attaching it to the roof and rear strut towers.

If you didn't notice a difference in the handling after installing the rear bar, my guess is you aren't that into generating lots of lateral g's. It made a huge difference on my car.

Ron, interesting thoughts on the rear bar. For the last 3 years I've had my 240, I've tried to be consistent about how I spend money on the car: only buy what makes me faster, or safer.

Given that the rear bar makes it harder to fit things in the already small rear area, maybe I'll just do the front bar? I'd rather put the $$$ saved into my next set of tires (which after last weekend's track session, are going to be needed a little sooner!)

Okay Jon, in all fairness I have not driven an early Z without a rollbar in some time. As a matter of fact I haven't driven an old Z car without a rollbar, drivingsuit, helmet etc. I think you know me well enough that I spend more time on the track in a datsun than on the street. :)

Where I agree that the rear bar will help eliminate some shifting in the body of the car, I don't think that the rear bar transfers that much to the handling charactoristics of the vehicle. So to correct my statement above. It makes a difference, just not a big one.

If you are looking for major improvements install the PDK front bar solution.