IGNORED

Triple SU set up at the Nationals

240ZGL

Steve has the only 3 SU setup known.

I'll throw another wrench into this....

Steve isn't the only one that has this setup.

No, it's not me. Sorry (name with held,you know who you are), I couldn't resist!

Triple SU installs on 6 cylinder engines have been done since at least the 1950s. On Zs I'm sure someone tried it by 1975. Its not "better" then a dual SU setup but its not really that bad.

If I ever get time (which I never will) I would want to fool around and build a 6 SU setup. It would probably run like crap but it would generate a lot of laughs and perplex a few folks.

Triple SU installs on 6 cylinder engines have been done since at least the 1950s. On Zs I'm sure someone tried it by 1975. Its not "better" then a dual SU setup but its not really that bad.

If I ever get time (which I never will) I would want to fool around and build a 6 SU setup. It would probably run like crap but it would generate a lot of laughs and perplex a few folks.

I talked to a guy who did THAT back in the 50's I think he said. They were motorcycle carbs. Said it worked great, but it was a real PITA to synch all the carbs, and making the linkage was pretty involved. He had an Austin Healey running 6 carbs. I figure Mikunis or Webers gives you the same thing, but is about 8000% easier.

Steve has the only 3 SU setup known. The art of custom work is to be the only one with that whatever. He has it and I salute him for it. That puts him on the short list of WOW, and leave us wondering how to get on that list.

If you're after "custom work" and "one of a kind", then I TRULY have the answer for you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-GMC-GMC-CHEVY-CORVETTE-TRUCK-WITH-A-TOUCH-OF-LAMBROGINI-WOW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ7251QQitemZ4634614926QQrdZ1

For some reason, that doesn't leave me "wondering how to get on that list" if you know what I'm saying. Either does the SU's, because Mikunis do it better.

This has been discussed before on this site. Here is one such thread on the topic: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13830&highlight=su

I'm so embarrassed that this car...errrr...ummmmm...truck...uhhhhhh....THING is even in the same state as me!!! :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

This is an interesting article that someone wrote a while back, but I can't help but wonder...

Why is there no talk about the effect of the air balance tube. Surely it serves a purpose, and I don't think that the article writer truely thought the issue through. Its worth noting that there is a huge and convenient disclaimer at the bottom of the original article.

Oh well, unique enough setup and proven that it runs well!

There's a VSCDA member, Joe Ziltner, who occasionaly races in my club (Midwest Council) and has been using triple SU's for a while now. I didn't take any pictures of the engine bay unfortunately, but I'll have to next time I see it. Anyways, he built the manifold out of exhaust tubing (steel); it did look presentable. As for straight line speed, he was door to door with me at Road America...for a breif moment. I beleive he's since upgraded the cam, so I'll have to get another comparison this year if I race against him again.

Hopefully Steve won't mind me posting this:

its57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I stumbled across your site and this discussion and wanted to put my two cents worth in. I am a friend of Steve's and have driven the car in question. I was at the Nationals with him. It runs great. It pulls hard from about 1800 rpm and sets you back in the seat at about 4k (big cam, really big). We drove about 2700 miles on our trip to the nationals and the Z got right at 27 miles to the gallon. Keeping in mind that it's a .40 over L28 with a groomed head and like I said a huge cam, we were plesantly surprised at the mileage. We ran about 85-90 most of the time and it has a 3.90 rear end and a 5 speed. Steve has wanted to build this setup for quite some time and yes he was partially motivated by all the talk over the years about how it wouldn't work. I seriously dought he will ever produce any for sale, there was some talk of having manifolds cast as that is were the bulk of the fab. time is, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He has somewere in the neighborhood of 150 hrs. in the set on the white car, as he made everything you see right down to the fuel rail with the return line (triple weber/Mukuni don't use a return).

Hi Dimer (everyone):

A comment just so we don't run too far afield or add confusion.

Most of the talk over the years that I have heard, was about the triple SU's not working "any better" and/or "as well" as the Twin SU set-up. Most people know it will work, as it had been done decades ago by other manufacturers. It would appear that Steve has his set-up working fairly well, and I'm sure he has a lot of fun with it.

If he wanted to satisfy our curiosity and/or prove/disprove the triple SU Myth... he'd throw that baby on a dyno - and make a few runs with his engine. First dial in the triple SU's and establish a base line, then switch too a proper (matched to that engine) twin SU set-up, dial it in and do a comparison run.

At that point we'd have at least one controlled experiment as a benchmark for the L series engines. Does the Triple SU set-up work "as well" or "any better"?

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Absolutly , this would do it . Also the use of the 36 intake against the others. And the ''mith'' ? of the 10 HP gain . I have seen this posted so many times over the years and never seen any proof . Seat of the pants dyno dosent count. KMack I know who you are talking about . LOL