IGNORED

skyline on ebay!!

zeewhiz

You say it was 'only a GT' but IMO that's what made it unique. Every one I've ever seen is some kind of a replica or clone. I personally don't think as much of that as others obviously do. I don't know how many times I've been told 'you should drop a stroker in the Z or the 810'.

You say it was 'only a GT' but IMO that's what made it unique.

When I bought the GT, I was in the Air Force stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa and even in 1981 those were very rare so It was unique back then but...even more so when I brought it to the states in 1982.

Every one I've ever seen is some kind of replica or clone.

I would agree with you to that point. Especially nowadays. Unless you were a car nut who had friends who new about the GT-R's and what they were, at least here in the US nobody had a clue or even heard of a Skyline other than an occasional article in Car and Driver or similar magazine saying how cool it would be to have one but... it is only for the Japanese domestic market. I didn't even realize until a couple of years ago that they were sold in Austraila? Thanks to movies like The Fast and the Furious, now everyone seems to want a Skyline GT-R. (let the flaming begin)While some people feel that the car is overrated, I personally have a great respect for it and am trying to convince my better half to let me get one. I just don't think I could afford a true GT-R even in the years I would like. ( I don't want an R32 or newer) I'm not even sure I can afford another GT or GT-X or GT-R clone. Although if the information that "EricB" gave us holds true (I have no reason to doubt it) a GT, GT-X, or GT-R replica is alot more affordable than I was thinking. Sooo it is time to sweet talk the wife!!! After all it does have a back seat where as my Z doesn't:laugh:

I didn't even realize until a couple of years ago that they were sold in Austraila?

Hi Dave, I do hope you are reunited with another Skyline soon. :) Just for clarification on this - the Prince S54-BE was sold in Australia, the C10 was not, the C110 was (of course no GT-R's), C210 was, R30 was, R31 was, and a limited run of R32 GT-R's were sold to homoglate them for Bathurst. We haven't had any since.

In regards to Motorex, this is what I heard, for what it's worth:

A few years ago a California company, named Motorex, sacrificed a few R33 GTRs for the purpose of crashtests. They wanted to discover what it would take to make them DOT approved. They submitted their information to the DOT, and convinced them to allow 1990-1999 GTRs and GTSs to be imported, at the condition that they were modified to meet standards.

A good number of Skylines were imported under Motorex's self-made loophole. This only lasted until late 2005, when the US government started to realize that not all 1990-1999 models were the same. Motorex had submitted information on only the R33, and told the Goverment that it is good enough for all models. The government started to do their own research and discovered that out of the 3 generations (R32, R33, and R34) the 96-98 R33 was the closest to being US-Legal (at the time of its production). They decided to allow the 96-98 R33 GTR to be imported further (this discludes the 95 R33, as it did not have dual airbags until 96).

Dave

If you were at Kadena in the 80s and working for the airforce you must have seen the Habus fly in and out regularly... I wonder what that was that like, I mean, in person... Sorry for the off-topic guys...

-e

As a matter of fact I did get to see them in person many times. There is really no way to explain what it was like...incredibly LOUD. They tried to take off just as it was getting dark (to put on a show I guess) and then watching two huge blueish afterburners streaking off into the night sky. It all lasted about a minute or so from takeoff to out of sight. (sorry for the off topic reply...just had to oblige a fellow Z'er)

Thanks to movies like The Fast and the Furious, now everyone seems to want a Skyline GT-R. (let the flaming begin) While some people feel that the car is overrated, I personally have a great respect for it and am trying to convince my better half to let me get one.

Yes, thanks to the movie, everyone wants one; but it's just a fad and will eventually go away. Mention a S54 Skyline GT-B or a KPGC10 Skyline GT-R and you'd just get a blank stare. They couldn't tell you the difference between a Hakosuka and a Kenmeri to save their life. Heck, most of them couldn't even tell you what an RB26DETT (the engine in their beloved R34 GT-R) is.

I just don't think I could afford a true GT-R even in the years I would like. ( I don't want an R32 or newer) I'm not even sure I can afford another GT or GT-X or GT-R clone. Although if the information that "EricB" gave us holds true (I have no reason to doubt it) a GT, GT-X, or GT-R replica is alot more affordable than I was thinking. Sooo it is time to sweet talk the wife!!! After all it does have a back seat where as my Z doesn't:laugh:

If you have 50 - 60 grand lying around, I could find you a genuine 71-72 KPGC10 Skyline GT-R. BUT consider this - engine and transmission parts for that car are mighty hard to come by, so that GT-R would most likely become a garage/trailer queen. Better to get a GT, GTX or GT-R lookalike. IMHO

If you want to get a feel for the prices of these cars in Japan, you can check the following web sites (all in Japanese, though). Goo and Car Sensor are full retail, dealer sold cars - usually the top car on the lot. Yahoo Japan is a mix of private owners, car dealers, and jokers.

http://autos.goo.ne.jp

www.carsensor.net

http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/26360-category.html

Sakijo,

Ive had this website link for years, to what I thought was a Datsun/Nissan sports car used car dealer, but upon looking at it more closely, it seems like

they do a lot of "modernizing" to these classics, motor upgrades and such...

Have you seen this place before? I always thought it was some sort of haven for Skylines and fairladys...

Can you do any translations>?

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/

Sakijo,

Ive had this website link for years, to what I thought was a Datsun/Nissan sports car used car dealer, but upon looking at it more closely, it seems like

they do a lot of "modernizing" to these classics, motor upgrades and such...

Have you seen this place before? I always thought it was some sort of haven for Skylines and fairladys...

Can you do any translations>?

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/

Rocky Auto is a car dealer specializing in older (collectable) Japanese cars. All their stuff looks to be top-notch, good running condition, turn-key cars. I've not been there, but I've seen their ads and website. They have a good mix of original, restored, and modified cars. I don't know if they buy the cars as is or buy and fix up - I would guess a mix of both.

My Japanese is not all that great, but Systran makes a decent translator. A good indicator of a modded skyline would be 2.8, 3.1, RB20, etc in the description. L20 usually indicates a stock block, but who knows what mods were made (headers, triple webbers, cam, etc).

In my opinion, unless it's a "Full Resto" there will have been mods made to the car. I have swapped my 4-speed for a 5-speed, put in a bigger clutch, larger power brake booster, Watanabe wheels, Fujitsubo stainless exhaust, headers, aftermarket stereo, etc. I guess it's all about what you want or are willing to put up with. I personally want the fixer-upper because you get to do what you want and do it your way. A turn-key Hakosuka with a RB20 motor in it would be really nice, but if it didn't start, would you even know where to begin troubleshooting? Just my opinion.

try the langauge tools link on www.google.com, at the bottom, translate url, select the language. doesnt handle the frame sets of that site, but you can get the page and translate it seperately

you'll get somthing like this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockyauto.co.jp%2Fview.php3%3Frui%3Dnew&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

If you have 50 - 60 grand lying around, I could find you a genuine 71-72 KPGC10 Skyline GT-R.

If I had that much laying around I would fly out to Japan and search in person!!!(I miss being there)

BUT consider this - engine and transmission parts for that car are mighty hard to come by, so that GT-R would most likely become a garage/trailer queen. Better to get a GT, GTX or GT-R lookalike. IMHO

I have very much thought of that. I have this real problem however. I can't buy one and just put it on a trailer and show it. I HAVE TO DRIVE IT and experience the thrill of owing one of the coolest cars on the planet. (IMHO) That is why I would not have too much problem spending 15-25k on a REALLY NICE 71-72 Hakosuka Skyline GT or GT-X 2 door or 73-76 Kenmeri GT or GT-X 2 doors of course that have been modified to look like GT-R's