IGNORED

From good to bad in .1 seconds

Ed

Well, I can definately say that I'm getting faster when it comes to working on the engine. I remember the first time I took the carbs & intake manifold off it took me about 4 hours. Now I get it done in about 45 minutes. I'll finish taking her apart this week to get an idea of the total damage.

Ed, may the Z Gods be with you during your time of need and may the damage be minimal and your wallet remain fat.

Seriously, I was sick when I read this thread but I'm sure you will tackle this "interuption" and your pride and joy will be playing in the streets soon.

Vicky

The locating pin on the front of the camshaft.

Hi Gav & others.

The locating pin is known as the dowell. It's tapered and pressed into the camshaft. When it becomes loose, it can move out of the cam into the sprocket and create all sorts of problems (as Ed & myself can testify too).

This usually occurs when you plant your foot to floor!

I've never found any reference in the FSM which suggests you check the security of this item, so after 30 or so years it may be a good idea to include it in your regular maintenance.

FWIW

MOM

Here is a picture of the pistons with the head off. You can see where the valves left there print. Only 11 out of 12 got bent. I feel lucky, one valve probably survived :rolleyes: . Off to the machine shop the head goes....

post-1052-14150796650671_thumb.jpg

I really cannot tell from the picture but , is the damage just to the valves? You must have been at a low RPM . Sorry to hear of the damage to your car. The engine appears to be running good judging from the look of the pistons . Remember justacarguy the same thing happend to him . Phred redid the head for him . Only 5 valves on that head . Just hoping that the head is not damaged and you can get by with just a few valves . Gary

WHEN THE HECK DID YOU MOVE TO NEW MEXICO???!!!???

Not that it's bad thing, cause it's like 20 up here right now. I was going to have to call your bluff on the whole "sunny day" thing, because you there's no such thing as a nice sunny day in Western NY in the middle of January. Man I'm really sorry to hear about your "little event" and at least you can be thankful that it was a localized event and not a "major" event like the Cement Truck that Will had invisioned. Good luck on a speedy recovery, and I don't foresee us bumping into each other in New Mexico so maybe at a Z show sometime... maybe Texas or MSA?

... correction ... right now it's 17 / wind chill is 4 ...

u didn't live near washington D C.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-car-L-24-P-30-Block-E-31-Head-Engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8032034203QQrdZ1

i don't know what a head job cost but this looks like a good deal if u could pick it up yourself. and an E31 head to boot!! just slap on your extremities.

WHEN THE HECK DID YOU MOVE TO NEW MEXICO???!!!???

Not that it's bad thing, cause it's like 20 up here right now. I was going to have to call your bluff on the whole "sunny day" thing, because you there's no such thing as a nice sunny day in Western NY in the middle of January. Man I'm really sorry to hear about your "little event" and at least you can be thankful that it was a localized event and not a "major" event like the Cement Truck that Will had invisioned. Good luck on a speedy recovery, and I don't foresee us bumping into each other in New Mexico so maybe at a Z show sometime... maybe Texas or MSA?

... correction ... right now it's 17 / wind chill is 4 ...

I'm down here for 6 months, working. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get out of the snow. Unfortunately I left most of my tools and my "spare engine" at home. Not to make you feel bad or anything but it was in the 60's yesterday.:)

I'm down here for 6 months, working. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get out of the snow. Unfortunately I left most of my tools and my "spare engine" at home. Not to make you feel bad or anything but it was in the 60's yesterday.:)

Luckyyyy! Not a bad deal at all... I know I'd do the same. Too cold here. Did the machine shop give you an idea on turn around time? Nice weather and all, I'm sure you'd rather be Zn' around. And just think, when you get back up here it'll be peak Z season in NY too!

Nate

Well, I can definately say that I'm getting faster when it comes to working on the engine. I remember the first time I took the carbs & intake manifold off it took me about 4 hours. Now I get it done in about 45 minutes. I'll finish taking her apart this week to get an idea of the total damage.

Good luck, Ed, this whole thing is a bummer. And Ed? Take your time...

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the head back today. All 12 valves were bent. I guess this is the price I pay for a high compression engine. So $200 bucks later I'm back in buisness. I'll put the head back on tomorrow after I give it a good cleaning and polish it back up again.