IGNORED

Treating inside/outside of gas tank with POR15 products and removing evaporation tank

dogma420

This is my next project, Very good insight! I would like to redo my entire fuel system. Evap tank and all. Is the evap tank still available? I can do the tank cleaning stuff easy enough thanks to this review, but I do not want to alter my stock car.

Also is there a diagram of the 71 240Z tank hose routing. The early Z's do not have an electrical pump. I want to replicate as much as possible. MSA has many hoses that are CRAZY expensive. I do not want to go buying stuff until I am sure I am buying the right stuff.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Does anyone know what part number for the fuel filter he was talking about, for a clear fuel filter. I would like to buy one and put it on the car, so I can help determine how much junk is coming out of my fuel tank. Its pretty cold out here for a while, and I am not sure if I want to mess with the fuel tank quite yet. but If I could put a clear see through fuel filter on there, at least I could watch if a bunch of junk is truely headed from the tank or not!!?? Thanks

Fram G-3 is the filter. They are usually available anywhere: Walmart, Kragen, Napa, Autozone, etc.

Dave Ruiz

• 3 years later...

I always felt one function of the evap tank is to separate fuel from air and vapor, such that liquid fuel wouldn't glurp into vent line and dribble out the bottom of the carbon canister. Anyway, it's a complicated little bit of engineering (so many tubes!), so I figure there was some thought put into it and probably reasons as to why it was done the way it was done. As old as I am, I can recount several times when I've simplified something, only to find that there was good reason for the baffling complexity.

If I were stripping down a 240 to race, the evap tank would probably go. But for a 280 that's a DD, it only makes sense to preserve the original design. Just my opinion.

Edited by FastWoman
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I will definitely inspect the system and hoses upon dissassembly and check for leaks. I will probably keep the system as it is designed too. The only reason I would remove it would be excessive damage or lack of proper replacement parts.