IGNORED

How To: Use Dry Ice to Remove Tar Insulation

• Mike featured this topic
  • 1 year later...

Not to be contrary, but there's a lot to be said for the factory petroleum-infused paper insulation.

Yes, it can conceal moisture damage, but one can frequently diagnose most damage from soundings of the bottom of the floor pans.

But on the plus side, it is efficient at damping both sound and vibrations, and with some heat and care, can be removed as a piece to be reused for real originality. Yes, there is always generic Dynamat, but it still has the trapping problem and is a huge pain to remove.

Incidentally, I have always found that WD-40 works very well with removing petroleum residues (mats, road tar, etc.) while doing the least harm to underlying paints.

Just a thought...

The trick is to not over do the heat. Work from an edge and only heat a small area enough to release with the aid of a 2 or 3 inch steel spatula/spreader. Gently lift and move along the edge, heating and lifting. Then head back to start, heating and lifting a little further in. Take your time.

Its a lot like lifting a rubber cemented label without damaging it...  slow and working the edge of sticktion to help it release.

At least, that's the way I've done it.

I used dry ice and had ok results.  I had not seen the video where they mixed the alcohol and dry ice first though....I will say the areas where I used dry ice came off easier than the areas where I did not, but if I had to do it over again....the process they used in the video is the way to go.....