IGNORED

FILMS "Road test in the U.S. & CANADA Oct-Dec 1969"

kats

....I think Mr K is thinking about how the executive jerks in Japan are boiling in their own juices because he had a good idea...
I hope he used a crowbar and mailed the broken pieces back to HQ.

bpilati,

I've been puzzling over what you wrote ( quoted above ) and I really can't make out exactly what you are referring to.

Who are the executive jerks and why would they be boiling in their own juices? And what was Mr Katayama's good idea?

The stories surrounding the removal of 'Fairlady' emblems by Katayama have clearly become mixed up over the years, and it is clear that 'whispering grass' syndrome took hold of the story a long time ago and blew it all out of proportion. I've never heard a first-hand account of the Japanese side of that story, and without hearing both sides of the story I think a lot of presumptions are being made.

What is clear is that Katayama's personal removal of 'Fairlady' emblems from just three cars ( confirmed as being the three 'Press Cars' - thank you Carl Beck ) proves that this was already an issue that had been settled. Even before those three cars were being shown to the Press and public in the USA, Nissan had shown "Datsun 240Z" emblemed cars to the Japanese press, and displayed a "Datsun 240Z" emblemed HLS30-U ( wearing a sign saying "Fairlady Z - Export Version" ) at the 1969 Tokyo Auto Show.

The issue must have been resolved before these cars were seen in Japan during October 1969. In fact, it must have been at least several weeks before that - as designing and producing the emblems ( even the first samples ) must have taken something like that amount of time. Even if the new emblems seen on the cars in October 1969 were hand-made prototypes then it surely indicates a firm decision as having been made and agreed a reasonable amount of time beforehand?

Katayama's personal removal of the emblems from those cars gets talked-up as though it was a battle of wills that was still ongoing. It was clearly nothing of the sort. No way were Nissan Japan's staff trying to force the 'Fairlady' emblems on Katayama against his will at that point. Katayama's personal removal of the emblems on those three cars was just sweeping-up after the fight if you like. It was clearly already a done deal.

Alan T.

Hi,I am soory I am late.I am catching up with these good inputs.

Alfadog,I do not know how many books or ads are featuring a photo which came from that photo mision,but in Japan,we(japanese people)saw quite often this photo in some car magazine(see attachted below).This shot was taken from that photo mission day,I believe.

When I made an interview to Mr.Osawa and Mr.Uemura(Both test crew in the U.S. & Canada) they showed me "Exactly" this photo,which is original,mono-color, the size is aprox.4X6 inch.Can you tell where they are in this photo?I also attached a photo when I made an interview in 2003.Left;Mr.Osawa/Center;kats/ Right;Mr.Uemura.

Marty,in that interview,they told me that the two test vehicles were sent back to japan after the mission.They needed to do lots of work to collect data from the vehicles.

kats

post-3193-14150794965002_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150794965545_thumb.jpg

26th-Z,thank you.Yes I remember about rare chrome Z,I forgot to tell you that I also got a "solid/heavy chrome Z" emblem.I can see "R" slightly fading but I am sure this is for Right side of quater panel.I bought it from ebay last year.

I think this solid/heavy made emblem could be the earliest(not just say under 500 240Zs,rather under 100?? I do not know).The reason is when I see the differences(changing) in this quater emblem,this emblem is very similer to the prototype emblems which Mr.Matsuo showed me in his sutudio.Unfortunately the prototypes are not of S30s,they are 510,SP/SR311 etc.Yes 26th-Z,Mr.Matsuo told me a prototype emblem is always made by a Hand-made and so that they are solid.By the time a emblem is produced in the factory,it is formed(cut) meat to meet the requirment of cost and weight.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-14150794965886_thumb.jpg

Carl,thank you very much for great informations.I really like to hear those kind of information.Now I am trying to think,the story of removing badge is real.Then some questions come up in my mind,when it happened,why and how many HLS30s had got fairlady-Z's badge,very very interesting.

Alan,I feel something from your comment,it helps my way of thinking wide and careful.There might be some factor,crossing each other.It could not be tell just one sentence.Should be complicated.

This is just my poor thoughts,the fairlady badged HLS30s could be " a present" from Nissan Tokyo.Intentionally,ironically,black humor.

Mr.K fought against Nissan head quarters about naming.Not only naming,

Mr.K had to do lots of work to pursue his dream"240Z".Same Mr.Matsuo,he also did hard work for his design.At that time,excutives of Nissan did not like sports cars,they think sports cars do not make profits!!

bpilati,your father's 510 story is nice.I checked dealer adress,"Pence-Briggs Datsun in Richmond, VA." is not listed JUL 1970 issued one.So your father perchased 510 from brand new dealer in Richmond I think.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-14150794966095_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150794966552_thumb.jpg

Sorry Bryan!

I have got the dealer list from ebay.It was not expensive,just a few people made a bid.I love to see it to confirm some dealer names which I can see them on brochures and sales tags in my hand.

26th-Z,yes that emblem.Do you have left & right?

kats

Hi Kats!

I have just one solid emblem. I know of some more, but they are owned by collectors like me and you. I must tell you that my alternators are finished and I will send you pictures. They cost me $100 each to restore. WOW!

Bryan, you find this stuff by looking and knowing what you are looking for. Ebay is a great start.