IGNORED

Exhaust fumes in the car.. Yaaaaaark....

guy_geo

Use a small phillips head,punch or awl and pop the little pin in the middle of the plastic rivet down thru the rivet.Then it will come out.If you find the pin when you remove the panel you can reuse them.Myself ,I would not remove the panel until I had the replacement taillight gaskets as the fewer times you flex that panel the better off you are.It will need to be removed to remove the taillights.That is also an excellent time to check out the status of the gas vent hose that runs across that area.It causes raw fuel smell. Have fun!! Daniel

Ok, went for a ride tonight, it is a little better, but the car smell gas inside now at rest,.. Might be the vent line or hose..

It will have to wait for 3 weeks, I'll be in Virginia for my job for one week, then it,s our Largo office near Tampa, then Ottawa, Canada...

We'll miss my Z.....:(

You say you're going to be in Largo for a week? I sure hope you plan to visit Carl Beck, king of the www.zhome.com site!

Send him an email i think its beck@becksystems.com ,but check zhome to be sure. Carl will entertain you with his 7 Z cars for a whole day! I stopped in last year when i was down there, as have several of our local club members...Highly recommend it if you have ANY spare time! Zya, Jeremiah

Thanks for the tip, but I'll be teaching 10 hours a day, and in the evening also..

Won't have the time this time, but will plan to contact him for sure!!!

I'll be back in Largo (near Tampa) in May and June, and Luly...

So, plenty of opportunity!

• 7 years later...
Well, my 240Z does not have the cat anymore nor the air pump(have been removed) and a 2.5 inches exhaust from the lower stock headers to the end (nice growl) and a resonator at the rear end..

Each time I drive the car, I have a bad smell in the car, like poisonous...exhaust fumes...

My seals on the hatch in the back are ok, but I'm getting sick and having nausea driving the car... Not funny...

Any tips?

What about putting a double tip exhaust in the back curved upward? Would it help?

See the pic of my exhaust on the far left....

1614dcp3632-med.jpg

For more pics, go to :

http://www.mondeauto.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001496

:mad:

I realize that this a very old thread but since my setup is similar to yours and i also suffer from "exhaust fume", was wondering if you solved your problem and how ? Merci

Wow, this is an old thread indeed. I'll just add my 2c. If you want to check a rubber seal (e.g. the hatch) to see if it really closes, use strips of paper or plastic. (Tyvec is especially good.) Lay them across the area that should be sealed, and close the hatch. Then, one by one, pull gently on the strips. There should obvious be a healthy resistance. If not, then the seal isn't closing. This method worked great for finding and adjusting out leaks in my Z3's ragtop.