IGNORED

Exhaust fumes in the car.. Yaaaaaark....

guy_geo

Well, my 240Z does not have the cat anymore nor the air pump(have been removed) and a 2.5 inches exhaust from the lower stock headers to the end (nice growl) and a resonator at the rear end..

Each time I drive the car, I have a bad smell in the car, like poisonous...exhaust fumes...

My seals on the hatch in the back are ok, but I'm getting sick and having nausea driving the car... Not funny...

Any tips?

What about putting a double tip exhaust in the back curved upward? Would it help?

See the pic of my exhaust on the far left....

1614dcp3632-med.jpg

For more pics, go to :

http://www.mondeauto.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001496

:mad:

well, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum (no pun intended) on the mail list in the past, and i think theres info at zhome too. 1) the further out the exhaust tip ends, the better.

2) seal every little crack around the back panel- taillights etc, etc. Remove the panel inside & check for leakiness.

3) some people say having the windows cracked a bit equalizes pressure, so less fumes are sucked into the car.

All of this is from 9 years of reading others problems, i have yet to mess with my cars, 'cause its not ALL that bad (unless u ask my wife!) HTH, JeremiahLOL

Like Jeremiah said, check the taillight gaskets first. They are usually dry rotted and falling apart on most older Z's.

Is your hatch sealing? Just because the gaskets look OK, doesn't mean the hatch is sealing tight enough. Try adjusting the latch a little bit and see if that helps.

Also, check for any exhaust leaks, you might have a very small leak under the car somewhere or in the engine compartment. BTW, check your firewall grommets while you are in there. If there is a slight leak under the hood it will draw right in around any leaking grommets.

Also check the grommets around the gas tank vent lines when you pull the rear interior panel to check the taillight gaskets, it may have a grommet missing on the line that runs up through the floor.

FWIW, I have never had a car with the exhaust more than a couple inches past the rear panel, if the taillight gaskets and hatch are sealing it shouldn't be necessary.

A few places that solved 75% of my fumes.

Make sure the plastic 'vapour barriers' are intact underneath the interior door panels. There should be a thin plastic installed with caulk at all edges insid ehte door panels.

MORE IMPORTANTLY (this one alone was 50%) Same as above but inside the deck lid inner panel. You know, that vinyl panel about 9" X 36" under the window with a bunch of screws? Take it off and see if there is plastic installed AND COMPLETELY SEALED inside.

Two large (1 1/4") holes in lower edge of deck lid. Exhaust comes straight up inside the taillight panel and into these holes.

Antennae drain hole right next to the bumper. The hole is about 1". It is supposed to have a rubber boot with a drain tube tight in it, but usually at least the tube is gone and often the boot too.

Buy a new inner shift boot.

How new is your exhaust? You make it sound like this is a new problem and also reference 'poisonous fumes'. Is the coating on the header/pipe/muffler still burning off? Mine smelled 'poisonous' (quite different from normal exhaust) for many heat-ups. My new SS Bosal smelled like burning machine oil forever.

Did you clamp the Y-tube/down tube/collector from the header? It should not be welded, but needs a good SS band clamp. C clamps are poor at best.

steve

Hi guy,I fought the fume monster for about 2 years off and on.I did all the mentioned items and never really saw a difference.I was told the rear hatch seal was the normal problem.I had replaced it when I restored my Z about 15 years ago.The car is garage kept so the rubber was still good.I reglued the seals -no help.Then about a month ago it hit me like a rock.When you open your hatch there are 2 screws on the left and right of the catch.Remove those and your tag light assembly will drop.There are 2 bolts that hold the catch.Close the hatch(watch out for the tag light)Loosen the catch bolts to where they are easily moved.Press down on the hatch and snug the bolts.Because you pressed down,the top of the latch is what seated the catch.Moving the catch down a fraction more will ensure it connects at the bottom of the latch.It is wonderful to travel without fumes!!!It's great to arrive somewhere without your clothes smelling of exhaust and your lips purple!!!I now either open a window or door before I close my hatch as the fit is so good I need to relieve some pressure or I have to slam it.Let me know your results. Daniel

OK, this pm, dismantled the black frame aroung the taillights, and in fact, the whole rubber frame is rotten around the lights....

I did try an easy and temporary fix, did put some MONO (like we put around the window frames of our homes) and I'll have to see if it's ok. It should seal for a moment.

I didi lower the catch for the hatch like you told me, again, will have to wait to see for the fumes...

I did try to dismantled the interior panels in the rear inside quarter , but the little funny buttons that holds the panels in place did not want to pop-out...

So I quit, afraid to brake them...

I'll have to wait for tomorrow, since the weather looks more than fall today.. merde....