IGNORED

Social Poll...

Zvoiture

How far do you live from where you grew up?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How far do you live from where you grew up?

• Under 10 miles (16km)
    • 10-50 miles (80km)
    • 50-100 (160km)
    • 100-200 (320km)
    • 200-500 (800km)
    • 500-1000 (1600km)
    • 1000-2000 (3200)
    • Over 2000 miles

24 Years near Copenhagen in Denmark and 13 Years in Sydney Australia.

I Believe the two locations are on pretty much on opposite sides of the planet.

My Parents reckons I am just trying to get away from them, they could be right......

Michael

True Texas native....

First 7 yrs in Houston, then moved about as far south in this country as you can get. San Benito, Tx (13 yrs) - parents house was less than 7 miles north of the Rio Grande. Then went to college in San Antonio, Tx. Been here ever since. Right now I'm about as far north and the highest elevation (about 800 feet) as I've ever lived. Wouldn't trade it for anything...:classic:

Born in morrisville vermont, then moved to CT. after a short stay there, it was off to Westmont IL ...yet again time to move once more, this time to a townhouse in bowlingbrook IL. played in the mud there for a few years then it was off to Joisey in the late 70's.

My father worked as a field engineer for MCI and we moved alot chasing the money. He was paid outrageously well and eventually went on with the company to develop the entire early stages of the fiber optic network for NYC. pretty crazy. been in Joisey ever since.

Funny thing though...before we moved to jersey my mom worked for a datsun dealership in 79. I have a shirt with the 80Zx on the front and the back says "DATSUN, We are Driven...... A long way" it would probably fit a newborn at this point =)

Born on Chanute AFB, IL in 1970

Montgomery AL 1970-71

Eglin AFB, FL 72-73

Mather AFB, CA 73-74

McDill AFB, FL 74

parents divorced so Montgomery again 74-75

Mom remarried to another pilot so.....

Holloman AFB, NM 75

Back to montgomery while step dad in korea 75-76

Myrtle Beach AFB, SC 1976-80

Fort Lewis, WA 80-82

Richmond, VA 82-83

Concord, NC 83-84

Shelby, NC 84-88

Auburn University 88-92

Montgomery, AL 92-94

Joined Active duty 94

Korea 95-96

Ft Lewis, WA 96-98

Aviano, Italy 98-02

Andrews AFB, MD 02-pres

with a few stints at places like Mogedishu, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany.

Born in Kailua, Hawaii

Moved to Maui at 2

Moved to Castleton, New York at 5

Moved to Boston, Massachusetts at 18

Basic training in San Antonio, Texas at 21

Tech School in Biloxi, Mississippi at 21

Station at Scott AFB, Belleville, IL at 22

Moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado at 26

Moved to Swansea, IL at 28

Moved to Hazelwood, Missouri at 29

I guess I 'grew up' in Castleton so I'm 1049.49 miles from 'home'.

Born in Boston, MA

Grew up in South Weymouth, MA

At 18, Joined the Air Force and had basic training in San Antonio, TX, then to Biloxi, Mississippi, Hansco AFB, MA, lived at home; Kunsan AB, S. Korea; then Offutt AFB, NE; Biloxi again, a long period overseas, Okinawa, then Japan, then Southern Italy, then a mountaintop outside of Taipei, Taiwan. Back to the states for a few months in San Angelo, TX, Then Vietnam, Okinawa, Germany, Vietnam, Thailand, finally back to Offutt, but in a flying job which had me constantly, in England, Alaska, Okinawa, and Greece. A lot of time down in Greenville, TX, then a tour in Greece at the airport outside of Athens, and a final assignment back to Kelly AFB in San Antonio. Retired in 1986, but didn't stop travelling. Went to work in Ontario, California, then down to Panama, working two jobs there, then Belcamp, Maryland, then South Korea for 4 years, and that brings me back to Belcamp where I've been for the last 4 years.

It is a very interesting phenomenon that has been considerably well-documented in social writings. Social geography is full of seemingly benign criteria that has deep reverberations in socio-economic structure. I was a bit surprised by the almost perfect reverse curve. It is always fun to apply these sort of queries to a group that is #1 Automotive folks (that means GEARHEADS), but #2, collector folks (can tend toward the pinkie-outstretched-wine-and-cheese-sort).

steve