IGNORED

Rally Clock for sale on Ebay

Go240Zags

I can't believe it is bidding for so much. Makes me cry to think of what I paid for mine - including the service and cleaning. And then to think it is just a curio that will probably never get used for its intention.

Do I understand correctly about the oscillator? That the timing mechanism is based on the late sixties technology of the tuning fork? Remember Bulova had a watch with a tuning fork? I have one of those. The tuning fork died and it is no longer repairable. Is this the issue with the oscillators?

I always enjoy your pictures, Kats. And thanks for this link. Check out this Z432 site http://www.geocities.jp/ps30diy/genzon/page048.html

I'm going to make 2 of you happy!

kats: When I bought HLS30-00110 in the spare tire well is a Bridgstone Super Speed Radial 20/ 175-SR/14. Its flat now and haven't tried to air it up to see if it would hold air. It has been on the road at some time but still has good tread left.

26th-Z: Your Accutron can be repaired. There are some watchmakers that can rewind the coils on the tuning fork, if it is the 214, the one that sets the time from the back of the watch. If it is the 218, it sets the time at 4 o'clock, some forks and coils out there are new. I've been out of the watchmaking, clockmaking business for over 10 years, but might be able to find someone to repair it for you if you would like. If it is the "Space View", the one where you can see the insides, it would be well worth having repaired. (see what 214 Accutron Space Views are bringing on ebay) I have 3 of the 214's in running order but finding the 1.35 volt batteries is the hard part.

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150805322584_thumb.jpg

Chris - Who did you get to service & clean your rally clock? I've got a few that I have tested, they are working but I don't want to run them again until they are serviced. I need a knob for the single knob late model calender clock also. Yeah I know, I'm a clock whore.:eek:

.....snip.....

26th-Z: Your Accutron can be repaired. There are some watchmakers that can rewind the coils on the tuning fork, if it is the 214, the one that sets the time from the back of the watch. If it is the 218, it sets the time at 4 o'clock, some forks and coils out there are new....snip...

Bonzi Lon

Bonzi, I was going to let him know pretty much the same thing. BTW, I have what is considered one of the rarest Accutrons models out there. The 2186 "Direct Read". Problem is, it's rare mainly due to the fact that not many people liked them and thus not many were produced & sold. LOL

post-10534-14150805324313_thumb.jpg

Geezer,

I got my calender clock checked over and refurbished by Ron at Z clocks. Very good. There is a bit on here about it....can't search now..

Thanks for the recommendation but after thinking about it, I'm going to try my hand at cleaning and oiling one of these. There aren't any repairs needed, just delicate cleaning, oiling and lens polishing. I plan to install a hidden switch to turn the clock off when not in use to prevent a drain on the battery. The rally clocks to me are just a curiosity item and there is no garrantee how long the oscillators will hold out so why spend a lot of money on the clock.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

There are raining rally clocks on Ebay lately, here goes the link to anyone that would like to have them.

I hope to have mine clock sooner, them i will post pictures of it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-Rally-Clock-with-Oscillator-Complete-Rare_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem110344479888QQitemZ110344479888QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and there`s another one, but incomplete

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-OEM-NISMO-DATSUN-S30-240z-COMPETITION-RALLY-CLOCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130285189699QQitemZ130285189699QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Yesterday i was looking to the Japanese 432 Brochure, and pictures show it on dash on the car... it`s really beautifull.

Japanese letters didn`t make me understand if the rally clock was an option or standard, anyaway it looks really great...

Filipe

Edited by FilipeA

I can't believe it is bidding for so much. Makes me cry to think of what I paid for mine - including the service and cleaning. And then to think it is just a curio that will probably never get used for its intention.

And the link FilipeA just posted starts at $600!