IGNORED

HLS30-000105 is now for sale on Ebay

M3333hp

46 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

:huh: some of these LOW VIN rigs are getting ridiculous on the asking price. The buyer will need 15K or more to get it presentable again. Let's all try to be just a little more realistic here

$15K wouldn't even cover the bodywork and welding needed.  A serious restoration on this car with correct parts will be in the $40-$50K range easy

• Like 1

It just needs a clearcoat to stop the rust.  Then drive it as a survivor. 

What's up with the white gauges?  The guy is adding more pictures as we talk about it I think.  There seem to be a bunch more now.  A ton.

white gauges.PNG

That blue 31K mile series-1 that sold on BAT for $39K is driving a lot of this.  It was a 4-digit VIN car, looked good enough, and could have been left as-is which I think is the new owner's plan since it is going in to a museum.  At the end of the day, the market will speak on this can and kudos to the seller for posting a ton of pictures.  The winner bidder will know exactly what they are buying.

9 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

Fully agree we are in the middle of a 4 digit VIN resto and it is clearing out the bank accounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yes, an accurate restoration of an early car is ridiculously expensive.  I won't (can't?) even talk about what I've spent on #87 so far, and I'm nowhere near finished.   Personally, I'm just happy to see that more of these early cars are coming out of hiding - and going to new owners who are committed to restoration or preservation.   

$3.76 and a tune-up.  Done.  For a while anyway.  There is something about seeing history writ in wear and tear that's attractive.  105 looks like 106 looks like 107...after restoration.  Looks like it started life as an orange car.  The rear strut towers are orange and the sanded through areas on the body.  Must have been a good paint shop though, they painted the spare tire well green.  Or is that a factory color change?  Where's the low number guys.?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-10-25-oz-Clear-Rust-Inhibitor-Spray-224284/100567660

20 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Looks like it started life as an orange car.  The rear strut towers are orange and the sanded through areas on the body.  Must have been a good paint shop though, they painted the spare tire well green.  Or is that a factory color change?  

Looks like an original green car to me. The rear strut towers are covered in tan vinyl, not orange paint, and the sanded through areas on the body is red oxide primer.

My mistake.  They put the vinyl on pretty tight on the early cars.  My 76 is loose and puffy.

My 76 has gray primer.  Did Nissan use red primer for the early cars?  Just adding to the puzzle.  Edit - is that a factory green color?  Seems kind of bright.  Edit 2 - there's overspray on the serial number badge.

Edit 3 - two tone seats.  Not stock, or an early option?  Yellow sway bar.

That's the thing about barn finds.  They're time capsuley.  Restoring removes all that.

Edited by Zed Head

11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Did Nissan use red primer for the early cars?  Just adding to the puzzle.  Edit - is that a factory green color?  Seems kind of bright.  Edit 2 - there's overspray on the serial number badge.

Edit 3 - two tone seats.  Not stock, or an early option?  Yellow sway bar.

That's the thing about barn finds.  They're time capsuley.  Restoring removes all that.

Yes, Nissan used red oxide primer.  It looks like that car was originally 907 green (the only green in 1970) with tan interior (tan only came with green exterior cars in 1970).  Clearly based on the overspray on the car it has been repainted at least once.  No, the two tone seats are not stock.  There were no seating options.  The seat vinyl color should match the rest of the interior.  The rear yellow sway bar is aftermarket.  North American cars didn't come with rear sway bars until 1974 I believe.  However, Japanese market cars did have rear sway bars from the beginning of production.