IGNORED

Is This Possible To Remove?

Werup

Hi,

Sorry about the topics title, but I am not sure what the item, I want remove is called :)

I am removing bits and pieces from my frame, so it can be cleaned out and painted in the spring, but I stopped at this item: I would like to call it a hatch hinge insert - but anyway it seemed sealed and thing that should be removed.

Is it possible to remove with out to much damage?  And if yes, any tips on removing it? :)

Thanks, Martin

* Edit: Ok, so they where that much glued to the frame, that I got frustated and asked about removing them in here, sorry about that! I took a deep breath and went back into the garage and heated them lightly and tapped them out. But rubber is no good anymore, so will need som new ones!

I can use this topic to ask if vintage rubber is the only supllier that sell those seals? 125$ a bit of cash for a rubber seal :)

/Martin

post-25822-0-00534600-1419176003_thumb.j

Underneath the metal you see is a rubber boot. (hatch hinge weatherstrip boot)

It prevents water from getting inside the roofline pockets that the hinges fit into.

When you remove these---(they are handed---right and left)---they are many times so brittle with age and exposure to heat ands cold that they tear

or disintegrate. Fortunately, reproductions of the boots are available. Although not cheap they are reasonable in cost, considering they will last

another 40 years or so! (www.vintagerubber.com)

Be gentle with the metal plates when you remove them, as they are fairly thin and easily bent.

You may need to massage them back into shape when you get ready for the re-install.

I think you should take them out, especially to inspect the pockets for any rust damage, and to get a good paint job done around this area.

Jim D.

(Zup)

Thanks alot Jim. I definitly need the massage part for thin metal plate! And yeah you are right about them holding another 40 years, so maybe that is just the the price to pay, but I could wish that the tax'es when importing parts here could be lowered just a little bit (40% on top of total price, that means shipping price to!)..

Thanks for that site, really nice!

/Martin

Hi Martin,

I know what you mean about the taxes:(

Like Zup already mentioned, Steve makes a lot of the rubber parts for the 240Z and what ever is interchangable for the 260 280Z.

I would tend to buy from Steve if I was replacing the rubber. Not saying Vintagerubber is less quality, but Steve is also a Zed man and the ivestment needed to start making this stuff makes it so expensive. I know what it has cost me to do my parts. Its certainly not a viable business, just a hobby.

My 2 cents.

Goodluck

Chas