IGNORED

Crash Test S30

HS30-H

It's interesting that the photo Kats posted is most likely a US spec car that was undergoing the crash tests to be certified for sale here in the US...it's a LHD model with a full interior whereas the pic Alan first posted it looks to be more of just a rolling bare chassis the factory used.

At the top of the pic that Kats posted is the MVSS or Motor Vehicle Safety Standard acronym. At that time the car would have had to have been a showroom model that was diverted from the dealer to undergo the crash tests and not a factory mule. The factory would have used "mules" or bare chassis during their testing, but for the car to be certified in the US it has to be "off the showroom floor" or what is available to the general public, to qualify for it's Federal safety standards testing(or FMVSS certification)...Of course today, they still do this testing the same way, and the Insurance Safety Institute also uses normal production cars in all their tests as well.

Thank you Kats for the clear pic of the 432 magnesium wheel, in most pics the wheels are hard to make out as the photographers usually are focusing more on the car than the wheels.

It's interesting how the pressed steel "mag" wheel design is so close to the design of the 432 wheel, it makes you wonder if the magnesium wheel was designed after the steel wheel was denied a chance to be on all the S30 cars, since they do bear some resemblance to one another.

And, there are also some other odd things on Alan's second picture, like no mirrors, no emblems.

Ed & 2Many,

The "Proto-2" pic I posted for comparison with the crash test car was actually just a mock-up.

If you look carefully, you will see nothing ( no hub, no axle ) holding the rear wheel onto the car - its just standing there.Yes, Ed. The dark shadow that you see is a prop or stand that is probably the only thing holding the rear off the ground. Well spotted. Bumper guards do look larger than the final versions too.

I don't think this is a 'clay' - I think its a little more than that - but its not really a rolling shell either. Its obviously quite a fair way before they finalised quite a few details - but getting very close to the finished shape. I have the date of the photo somewhere and I should dig it out the original again to find it..........

Did I read somewhere in an interview with Matsuo san that he initially wanted to make the whole front wing ( fender ) in one piece with the 'sugar scoop' headlamp surround incorporated into it? Can't remember where I saw that - possibly in an old Japanese magazine article. Anyway, I think I remember him saying that it could not be productionised that way and it took quite a lot of effort to get the sugar scoops made. I think this was the reason that they were initially made from FRP, and then later on they were able to make them successfully in steel. The 'sugar scoops' are a pretty complicated shape..............

2Many - those are interesting points about the MVSS etc. Now I'm wondering what crash-tests would have been necessary for other markets. Maybe some markets like the UK would have accepted the Japanese crash test results. I was also thinking that LHD and RHD cars would probably perform fairly differently from eachother in crash testing. Food for thought?

I have one of the Kobe Seiko 432 mag wheels that I will be using as the 'spare' on my 432R replica project. I can take a photo of it if you are interested. I also have 6 of the genuine Works "Rally" mags made by Kobe Seiko - which are slightly different in detail but essentially a similar design. In the mid Seventies Kobe Seiko marketed a very similar design wheel to the 432 mag and called it the "Maglloy". They crop up from time to time in Japan.

If you are interested in Nissan wheel DNA, then the links between Kobe Seiko and Nissan are very interesting. Kobe Seiko made most of Nissan's race and Sports Option wheels before the mid-Seventies, and there was a design used from mid 1973 that harked back to those wheels designed by Matsuo san on the "Proto 2" photo car. Here's a picture of one. They were SUPER wide:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150793065352_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by HS30-H

Ed & 2Many,

I have one of the Kobe Seiko 432 mag wheels that I will be using as the 'spare' on my 432R replica project. I can take a photo of it if you are interested. I also have 6 of the genuine Works "Rally" mags made by Kobe Seiko - which are slightly different in detail but essentially a similar design. In the mid Seventies Kobe Seiko marketed a very similar design wheel to the 432 mag and called it the "Maglloy". They crop up from time to time in Japan.

Alan T.

Alan or Kats, is there any chance I cold get my hands on works rally mags?? Great finish to my car. However, what would be the price?

ps. why do you need 6 of theme?

Hi Guus,

Well, Nishi san ( super restorer in Japan who is a friend of both Kats and myself ) made a limited edition run of reproduction Rally mags a few years ago. They look exactly like the real thing, but they are Aluminium instead of Magnesium.

He still has some stock, but they are VERY expensive. Its also going to cost a lot of money to ship them, and you will get hit for Customs Duty / Import Tax and TVA too. The Japanese Yen is particularly strong in foreign exchange at the moment, so that would not help either.

If you think you would still be interested, I'll talk to Nishi san about it. I have to talk to him today anyway - so I'll ask him for his 'best' price for you. I'll let you know. Prepare for a shock and have a chair close by...............

As for your question of why I 'need' six wheels - well, I don't really 'need' six ( I can only use four on the car at one time ) but what was offered was six pieces, and having two spare does not hurt.

Alan T.

• 3 weeks later...