IGNORED

Dumb but genuine question

Posted (edited)

Here's a dumb, improbable, not going to happen, but question never the less.

What would happen if you were somehow able to put an old school engine into a modern car?  Would it be able to handle the weight?  Would it be running at 5k down the street to get groceries?  Could it even move the car?

For example, what would happen if you were somehow able to shoehorn an L-series engine into a modern car or SUV?  For the purpose of wasting our time on this thread, let's say putting an L-series engine in a 370z and Pathfinder.

Would it be able to move the car?  Would the clutch be the weak point and slip? etc.

Edited by chaseincats

4 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I don't foresee any major problems. I'd also want to strip the vehicle of all the extraneous B.S. they've added to newer cars in the name of improvement.

Removing that stuff out of principal or due to it not being used with the old engine?

The Z uses 150 Hp to propel a 2500-lb vehicle.  If you were to put that same engine in a contemporary mid-size SUV, you'd now be asking the same powerplant to propel a 5000-lb vehicle.  The acceleration times would be cut in half.  Also, you'd be dealing with a less flexible engine b/c of the absence of things like computer-controlled electronic fuel injection and cam timing. 

There's also the not-inconsiderable difference between having only 4 transmission ratios vs more contemporary units with 8 or more ratios and computer-controlled shifting.

Doubling the vehicle weight certainly wouldn't be kind to the Z's clutch and gearbox (or engine).  However, I have no doubt that they'd function ok... for a while.  The Z's powertrain was a conservative design built with excellent materials.  I think you'd be accelerating the physical wear on critical components by maybe 25% - 50% -- but not by 100%.

Give it a try and let us know how things work out 😄 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Removing that stuff out of principal or due to it not being used with the old engine?

Out of principle. The improvements? may have started with the automatic choke or possibly starter solenoids. Caveat, I drove a 39 Chev pickup for a few years.

You could but ...

So you would have to remove not only the modern engine but the transmission as well and you may have to find a differential with a ratio that will work with the old transmission.  Installing a clutch pedal and master cylinder or an automatic shifter and its linkage. You may have a bugger of a time trying to defeat programs for the ignition, most of the modern dash instruments would be dark and you would need to wire up some old school gauges for the tach, speedo, temp, fuel level and such. 

In fact, forget about using the modern start ignition altogether and install and old one with a key or just a push button. 240z rack&pinion steering is not going to be fun to use, if you stay with the modern hydraulic steering pump then you need to hobble together a mount to support it on the L engine.  Electric steering would be the easiest route to go. You may have to scrap the entire ABS system.

Depending on which L series engine you use, you may have to work a choke cable through the firewall.  There's LOTS of other problems you would have to sort out along the way. 

There are lots projects similar to this that get started and never finished, or if finished have so many compromises that the end result is iffy.  It's much much easier to put a modern engine in an old car.  But yes, it could be done.

• Like 3

I don't have anything to contribute directly to the question but it does make think about the current attitudes towards repowering or increasing power in these cars.

I think many people approach these cars and think they want 4, 5 or 600 horsepower. What they fail to keep in mind is this is an old light beer can of a car. It's not a modern 4 or 5000# car. It will move along nicely with 250hp and really move with 350hp. There's no real need for more than that you'll just break stuff or damage the chassis. Providing you can get it to hook up...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

this is an old light beer can of a car

I like that description.  One of the audible trademarks of a Z is the noise the doors make (clang!) when they're slammed shut.  Some others that come to mind:

Engine cooling fan that imitates a hovercraft

Wheezy 'seatbelt not fastened' buzzer 

Sound made by hood release cable when it finally snaps

• Haha 4

On 4/1/2024 at 5:09 AM, grannyknot said:

I know about that one, no fun at all, now I install a secondary release on every Z that comes through the shop. It hangs next to the exhaust pipe.

IMG_2919.JPG

Would you mind showing exactly what you did for this?  

• Like 2