IGNORED

Windshield install sealant

fusion

I'm installing a new gasket and windshield into my 280z.  I've read conflicting information on using sealant or installing dry.  I'm leaning towards using the sealant to ensure no leaks.     This is the sealant I purchased:  https://www.crlaurence.com/All-Products/Automotive-Windows-%26-Supplies/Automotive-Glass-Supplies/Glazing-Adhesives/Epoxies%2C-Sealers%2C-Urethanes%2C-%26-Adhesives/CRL-Black-Windshield-and-Body-Sealant/p/CRL7708

What's the best way to install with sealant?   If I install into the pinch weld groove on the gasket, I'm afraid it will be extremely messy when the rope is coming out of the groove during install. I also wonder how the lube (soapy water or Windex) will affect it. 

If I apply it to the pinch weld, I'm worried that it will smear all over the gasket flap when the rope pulls it over the pinch weld. 

Maybe the best method is to install dry and backfill sealant under the gasket flap where it meets the body?

I've gone to great lengths to get the car extremely nice and don't want to have a disaster on my hands during the install.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by fusion

Same as above, if you do go ahead and use the CLR sealant get there solvent to clean up with. CRL make excellent products. Using rope to bring the rubber lip over the pinch weld will bring a lot more sealant with it than something thin and smooth like string trimmer line. Test the solvent out on a part of the vinyl that isn't seen to be sure it won't discolour the vinyl.

• Like 1

Agree with Patcon, I think you will have a big mess.  If something doesn't go right (crack) and the glass has to come back out, thats going to be a disaster to clean up. Here is a video of a guy that put sealant under the lip after installing the glass. Personally I would install it dry, and if it leaks then add sealant. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+installing+datsun+windshield&oq=youtube+installing+datsun+windshield&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigATIHCAUQIRifBTIHCAYQIRifBdIBCTIyNTE3ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9b4f37af,vid:H77PZfCmwcU,st:0

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Agree with Patcon, I think you will have a big mess.  If something doesn't go right (crack) and the glass has to come back out, thats going to be a disaster to clean up. Here is a video of a guy that put sealant under the lip after installing the glass. Personally I would install it dry, and if it leaks then add sealant. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+installing+datsun+windshield&oq=youtube+installing+datsun+windshield&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigATIHCAUQIRifBTIHCAYQIRifBdIBCTIyNTE3ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9b4f37af,vid:H77PZfCmwcU,st:0

The link didn't work for me, could you send the direct YouTube link?

I installed my windshield just days ago.  If you look closely at the picture in the factory workshop manual to see where sealant is supposed to be applied, it is on edge of the downward turn from the outside surface of the car body, not on the pinch weld.  In theory, when the weather strip seats, adhesive flows to both sides of that corner.

A couple of pictures from my install, and yes, it was a complete mess, but only on the outside, and everywhere that any that got on my gloves migrated to as well.  I used this 3M adhesive.  This 3M adhesive remover removes it easily without hurting the vinyl or paint.

IMG_20240224_143844.jpg  IMG_20240224_143856.jpg  image.png

The 3M website says "Fast-curing formula offers a 10 to 20 minute working time".  I found that it starts hardening that quickly, but I would call the working time more like double that.

• Thanks 1