IGNORED

Is my throw out bearing correct?

kcpope

I’m as perplexed as both of you. I think it’s just a hodgepodge of “make it work” pieces. Who knows.

Like zed mentioned, I’m just replacing it all to be sure.

Asked my machinist about lightening the flywheel while he was resurfacing it, but the cost would’ve been darn near the price of a fidanza aluminum piece. So I just decided to resurface it for $65. Done, picture attached.

Now, selecting a clutch kit. The only 225mm kit that includes a collar, is the perfection clutch kit. It seems to be sold by summit and autozone as well, just with different branding (zoom, duralast). It’s economical and seems to have decent reviews. Zed, I know you weren’t a fan. But it’s the only kit that includes a collar and would eliminate that headache.

I’d like to consider exedy, but it doesn’t come with a collar, so I’d then have to do the whole 92mm measurement mess and then spend another $50 on a collar, maybe.

Unless someone can confirm that my existing collar will work with the exedy kit, I’ll prolly just order the perfection kit because I know the collar will be right…

59d5551c24cfcf94cec6c4205410347a.jpg

0d92253e6f2d9a964d36b8db25a1feaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the Perfection kit I got might have been on the shelf for a while at the local auto parts store.  Bought it in 2009.  It was actually Zoom by Perfection if I recall right.  Odds are it will work fine.  Mine only had problems when it got hot.

I got on to Summit and found this.  Doesn't say Perfection in the title but does in the video.  Who knows.  They're probably all made at the same place.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-mu47594-1a/make/nissan/model/280z/year/1976

• Like 1

Next debacle…

Do I get the perfection kit specified for the L28…

e0db3df427e90c6db61767a49ae95366.jpg

Or do I get the kit specified for the L24…

603e27bba05a7ba155ec711571b43eff.jpg

As the pictures show, the collar height appears slightly different between the two models, which theoretically shouldn’t matter because everything it the kit should work seemlessly together. And the pressure plates appear slightly different.

That said, any opinions on which kit weighs less? Every bit helps.

I actually read somewhere that the earlier 240z pressure plates were thicker than the 280z ones. So maybe I should choose the L28 kit. Hmmm…

I have Exedy 240Z clutches (Made in Japan) in all five of my L28 Z’s and they are perfect. Do what you want, but if you order an Exedy pressure plate and disc and specify 240Z, you can then order the 240Z collar and throw out bearing from Motorsports and if you have any questions, those guys know what they are doing and can help you. They probably have the Exedy clutches too. If you do that, you can forget measuring…..you’ll reinstall with confidence!

PS    Make sure to confirm the size of your flywheel is a 225 mm (the facing looks awful wide in your pic) or you’ll need to order the clutch and collar for a 2 plus 2. Motorsport sales folks can help you with that too. 👍

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 3

I have Exedy 240Z clutches (Made in Japan) in all five of my L28 Z’s and they are perfect. Do what you want, but if you order an Exedy pressure plate and disc and specify 240Z, you can then order the 240Z collar and throw out bearing from Motorsports and if you have any questions, those guys know what they are doing and can help you. They probably have the Exedy clutches too. If you do that, you can forget measuring…..you’ll reinstall with confidence!
PS    Make sure to confirm the size of your flywheel is a 225 mm (the facing looks awful wide in your pic) or you’ll need to order the clutch and collar for a 2 plus 2. Motorsport sales folks can help you with that too. [emoji106]
image.thumb.jpeg.0f8b88283e08d38d55d55f55b2b7a262.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ed463a88c2558ad1717f9bcfa4ff361e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2bcc3282a35df19d593570935d9404ff.jpegimage.jpeg.05981459406c35b9a0636375b7b0dc8d.jpeg

Agreed, I’d love to get the exedy kit. This is the correct kit for a 280z with a 225 flywheel (which I measured and confirmed is what I have)…

https://a.co/d/iPBEEji

I also have the Type B collar circled below…

651e6a2351fb7dbd8b6fcded58f33612.jpg

Would love to know if the type B 4 speed collar is correct for the exedy 06009 clutch kit but I cant seem to confirm that.

It would make sense that the two are compatible given the Type B collar is typically found in 280z’s. And this exedy kit if for a 280z.

Anyone out there able to confirm?

It’s really very simple. If you are sure you have a 225mm flywheel, you can use a 240Z clutch and 240Z collar or a 280Z clutch with a 280Z collar……your choice. Call Motorsports and tell them you want a 240Z clutch and a 240Z collar and throwout bearing. They will send you the correct combo. My 280 motors with 225mm flywheels all run the 240Z cluches. I like them best. 

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

It’s really very simple. If you are sure you have a 225mm flywheel, you can use a 240Z clutch and 240Z collar or a 280Z clutch with a 280Z collar

Which of these is 240Z and which is 280Z?

image.png

Odds are good that the sleeve/collar is the one that came with the car.  So the typical 280Z 225 mm pressure plate will probably work correctly.  Worst case, you take the measurement after you get it and have to wait to get a new sleeve.  Your biggest mistake would be installing without taking that measurement.  That's where all of the "what's wrong" threads come from.

So, at this point you're really just choosing between a "guaranteed" correct fit or maybe having to wait for a new sleeve.  Certainty or uncertainty.

• Like 2

How do you know?  The 240Z came with a Type B 4 speed after the Type A monkey motion unit.

Feels like the table has turned...

For what it's worth, more food for thought, the Type B 5 speed is identical in every way, externally and gears 1 - 4, to the Type B 4 speed.  Nissan just added a 5th gear and some shift control mechanisms.  The 1 - 4 ratios are identical.  In 1978 you could order a 5 speed or a 4 speed.  It would be a Type B transmission.  Same dimensions.  Pretty sure the clutches were identical. 

Just poiniting out that the labels in that figure don't really tell much.