IGNORED

Is my throw out bearing correct?

kcpope

That is different but there are many ways to make a bearing.  Kind of looks like the clutch kit maker spec'ed their own bearing.  Do you know who made the pressure plate?  Any markings?  Most do not come in red.  Looks "performance".

Before you put it back together you should take some measurements.  Also, the contact points on your clutch fork look kind of shiny.  Are they worn?

The topic of measuring before installing comes up often.  Here's one thread with a link to more.  

And here's a Rockauto picture of a bearing that looks kind of like years.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6085047&cc=1209226&pt=1968

image.png

• Like 1

I used this to remove the throw out bearing: https://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-63610.html

Fortunately for me, I bought it with a 20% off coupon. As you may have seen in the video I linked, the guy used a socket and drove out the bearing. I think I may have used a socket at one point, too.

Yep, I did use a socket. I drove it out with an impact gun.

image.png

Then I drove it the rest of the way out with a mallet.

image.png

Note: you may want to put it on a block of wood when doing that to prevent damage to the collar.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1

I would definitely take some measurements before buying new parts.  Your throwout bearing sleeve is the short one used for the tall 240Z pressure plates.  But your pressure plate is definitely not a stock Nissan pressure plate.  If you use a short sleeve on a short pressure plate you'll have problems.

If you have to buy a new sleeve it might come with a bearing already installed.

• Like 1

That is different but there are many ways to make a bearing.  Kind of looks like the clutch kit maker spec'ed their own bearing.  Do you know who made the pressure plate?  Any markings?  Most do not come in red.  Looks "performance".
Before you put it back together you should take some measurements.  Also, the contact points on your clutch fork look kind of shiny.  Are they worn?
The topic of measuring before installing comes up often.  Here's one thread with a link to more.  
[/url]  
And here's a Rockauto picture of a bearing that looks kind of like years.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6085047&cc=1209226&pt=1968
image.png.1ed799aa67fb6458d2c90e5f5d17487e.png

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the clutch appears to be from a local clutch shop, All Clutch Systems in Santa Ana, CA. They’re still in business so that’s a good sign.

Upon further inspection, I found a part number 613015 on the throw out bearing. Looks like it’s intended for a 240SX. Interesting. Is it even possible to install a clutch from a 240sx onto an L28? I guess it is to some degree cuz I’m looking at it…

e485422db6c95ef29fae60e1dccd3c91.jpg

8f17db8b21b0913d7c262a42535061de.jpg

Seeing as it feels smooth, I’ll likely just leave it alone and reinstall it until I’m ready to replace the clutch somewhere down the road. If it is unique to this particular kit, I don’t want to throw a new bearing on it and find out it doesn’t work. We’ll see how it goes. Here’s another couple pics for folks who didn’t see the vid…

33fab2e9b8f31308a2cd0bec9ec11968.jpg

Here’s a closer pic of my fork. A bit worn, probably. But hopefully still usable…

28e953170942e68e3d33e83b2358c7bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That part number is for the clutch disc, not the pressure plate.  Any difference would be in size and spline count.

I'd still take those measurements.  The fork wear could be from before or it could be a sign of a bad angle.  The measurments will tell you if the package of parts will work right with the transmission.  The pivot fork on the transmission is the same distance relative to the engine, across all engine sizes and transmissions, except the very early 240Z's, I think (the monkey motion 4 speeds might be different.).  Only the pressure plate and sleeve sizes will change across the various models of vehicle.

If you have the room and time, nothing wrong with trying things out, if you're fine with dropping the transmission again.  I've had a transmission in but back out in a few dyas when I found out it had a leak.  Kind of a pain but not terrible.

• Like 1

Click on the part number of one of these discs and you'll see all of the vehicles it will fit.  That would be the big 2+2 or turbo clutch.  240mm.  So, probably not the stock flywheel either.  Somebody "went big".  Not stock 240Z parts.  Is it the stock L24?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1981,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1430312,transmission-manual,clutch+friction+disc,10605

I’ll check out those measurements and see if I can gain some confidence. Thank ya.

I guess the other option is to just replace the clutch/pressure/plate/TO bearing while I’ve already got it out. rock auto has them from
between 80-120 bucks. Not bad, might be the right call.

Click on the part number of one of these discs and you'll see all of the vehicles it will fit.  That would be the big 2+2 or turbo clutch.  240mm.  So, probably not the stock flywheel either.  Somebody "went big".  Not stock 240Z parts.  Is it the stock L24?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1981,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1430312,transmission-manual,clutch+friction+disc,10605

Interesting.

Nah, it’s a 240z with an L28 in it. Sorry I should’ve mentioned that. Still overkill?

I would just pop that pressure plate off and check out the flywheel surface, the disc, and the pilot bearing.  If they look new, use them.  If theyre worn, replace.  Nothing worse than a chattery clutch.

• Like 1