IGNORED

Wiper linkages stuck

On 1/14/2024 at 3:56 PM, Richie G said:

@MH77280Z Yes, once loose i took them fully apart to restore them.  As expected they were rusted to no end.  Once they are loose there is a c clip on the top of the spindle, pry it loose and the whole thing comes apart.  At the bottom of the spindle is a pre-bent washer that acts sort of a spring don't try to flatten it its supposed to be that way to provide tension to the whole thing when put back together.  Just make sure you put things back in the right order.  Once they are apart you can blast them then remember to use some type of grease you prefer on the spindle before reassembling.  I also had to source new screws and a new gasket I made myself. 

image.jpeg

There is a felt washer between the linkage and the pivots. Where did you get those? ID 14mm OD 25mm approx.

Also, the C rings that hold the pivot to those two linkage rods, what size are they? did they buy them new as mine are a bit bend now.

I was able to reuse my c rings and purchased these from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWJO520?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I think I may have trimmed them a bit by copying an old one that was on there. They worked great but I'll be honest functionally I don't think even the original washers were doing anything at all. Maybe it was there to possibly absorb some sound but it certainly wasn't there like a typical washer to prevent friction or seal anything.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Richie G said:

I was able to reuse my c rings and purchased these from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWJO520?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I think I may have trimmed them a bit by copying an old one that was on there. They worked great but I'll be honest functionally I don't think even the original washers were doing anything at all. Maybe it was there to possibly absorb some sound but it certainly wasn't there like a typical washer to prevent friction or seal anything.

That connection is loose so that ball joint can flex easily etc. so the felt washer is primarily there to reduce possible sequels or sounds that's all i think.

These felt washers are pretty good fit OD around 24-25mm. I can cut the inner to match. Thanks for sharing!

3 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I've always thought the felt washers were soaked in some heavy oil or grease to keep ball joint lubricated and maybe keep out some of the grit.

Could be, I haven't owned any originals so by the time it got to me it was a shriveled dried out noodle lol.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:25 PM, grannyknot said:

I've always thought the felt washers were soaked in some heavy oil or grease to keep ball joint lubricated and maybe keep out some of the grit.

Picked up these and they are oiled. OD needs to be reduced but inner is exact match.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-NCP2-MC303-Oil-Based-Battery-Terminal-Protectors-Pack-of-2/55322518?athbdg=L1103

• Like 3

What kind of grease you have used inside the pivot cavity, something long lasting i think?

Also, do you think the rubber boat on top is tight enough to prevent water entering that cavity...seems like a rust prune area and cannot be painted. Suggestions?

I used low temp white grease seems to be working OK but I'm in CA and I don't plan to drive this in bad weather once I get the car on the road.  I think if your grease selection is decent and do a good job of refinishing the pin and inside the pivot cavity the rubber on top will be fine.  Just make sure the wiper boot is down far enough to cover opening should be good.

41 minutes ago, Richie G said:

I used low temp white grease seems to be working OK but I'm in CA and I don't plan to drive this in bad weather once I get the car on the road.  I think if your grease selection is decent and do a good job of refinishing the pin and inside the pivot cavity the rubber on top will be fine.  Just make sure the wiper boot is down far enough to cover opening should be good.

Can you explain what refinishing of pin and pivot cavity would mean? things to do I mean...

if i recall, your issue was the pivot points for the wiper arms were rusted shut.  Once you got them disassembled I'm assuming you either sand blasted or used a grinder to remove rust and get back to bare metal.  once you have it at bare metal you should zinc plate the metal pieces to prevent future corrosion which is what caused you rust in the first place.  By refinishing I just meant rust removal, metal prep, and proper plating.  Then prior to assembly grease the shaft before inserting back into the pivot plate and locking it up with the c ring.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

the rubber boat on top is tight enough to prevent water entering that cavity.

Hihi.. my 240z still is driving without those.. for 24 years now.. squeeky.. yes.   but it still works. never took the time to restore them.. may be in the next round! 😉

As long i use them there is no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back few parts nickle planted. Pivots work pretty smoothly. I got an old one from ebay as well so I have an extra wiper linkage with pivot arm assembly. Will be putting on ebay once it is assembled. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Also decided to nickle plate my water cork assembly.

parts.jpg

• Like 2