IGNORED

"The Brown Z" HLS30-11080

Patcon

So this is another car that has been sitting around at our places for decades. It was my daily driver in about 1992.

I rebuilt the engine in high school and it has a five speed that I installed at some point. It has gotten very rusty over the years. I am planning on trying to save it at some point now that a great many more good body panels are available now, if I live long enough.

I decided that I would pull the drive train and use it in Lily for the time being to get her running and then down the road I will probably go L28eT, but after Zcon 2024.

So that is what we did today

20231007_093129_resized.jpg20231007_093122_resized.jpg

Surrounded by BMW parts and parts cars

20231007_100946_resized.jpg

Added some pipes underneath and some lifting straps

20231007_102017_resized.jpg

Had to move the front straps to the inside to protect the fenders

20231007_103848_resized.jpg20231007_104824_resized.jpgO20231007_105326_resized_1.jpg

Our engine hoist 😉

20231007_102020_resized.jpg

20231007_105642_resized_1.jpg20231007_120323_resized_1.jpg

Tipped it down on some blocks and used a power ratchet on the leveler. Didn't have any issues even with the shifter still in the transmission. It was going to be a pain to get out so we just left it.

20231007_121536_resized_1.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Patcon said:

So I wanted to be sure the motor was still viable. So I hooked it up to a battery sitting on a trailer and spun it over with a remote starter switch. It spun freely with no plugs in it. So then I wanted to try to fire it over. It didn't have any carbs or exhaust on it. I messed with it for a while. Tried three different coils and two distributors called SteveJ to make sure I knew what I was doing. I then put the matchbox dizzy back in and got it to run on ether. I have a set of Ztherpay carbs that are evidently from 2011 that still look surprisingly good. They were on this engine and I will clean them up and reuse them for now

It lives!!! LOL

Down under we called that outback engineering, love that you got it to run!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This car will need the "works" if I save it. Full floors, front frame rails, radiator support, quarters, rockers, doglegs, rear valance and slam panel. I would like to save it if I can but it really needs to be moved into a drier environment under a roof. Hopefully next year if I get Lily running, I can rearrange and move this under the roof near the shop

2 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Down under we called that outback engineering, love that you got it to run!

It's been sitting for almost a decade in the yard. Moist South Carolina weather with no air cleaner on it and it still runs!!! LOL Such durable engines!

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

So I wanted to be sure the motor was still viable. So I hooked it up to a battery sitting on a trailer and spun it over with a remote starter switch. It spun freely with no plugs in it. So then I wanted to try to fire it over. It didn't have any carbs or exhaust on it. I messed with it for a while. Tried three different coils and two distributors called SteveJ to make sure I knew what I was doing. I then put the matchbox dizzy back in and got it to run on ether. I have a set of Ztherpay carbs that are evidently from 2011 that still look surprisingly good. They were on this engine and I will clean them up and reuse them for now

It lives!!! LOL

You gotta love the double-fisted engine starting fluid technique.

• Haha 3