IGNORED

Wiper rebuild

Patcon

Polished the pivots some today and bead blasted the wiper pivots

I noticed a thin hard washer on all the short pivots. Very hard to see and I had to use a knife to separate them from the pivots.

20230914_181258_resized.jpg20230914_181406_resized.jpg20230914_181409_resized.jpg

20230914_184018_resized.jpg20230914_185743_resized.jpg

Three of these pivots have a broken bolt in them

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
46 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Charles, the bell crank joint with the black rubber cover, what did you do for that flat spring that is always broken?

I'm not sure mine was broken. One of them was missing the 90 degree leg and I rebent one on there. The other ends on mine just stop at the end of the last coil.

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I believe that little spring is supposed to index in the slot at the end of the wiper motor arm and the millennium falcon. That is the it was on my better transmission

Yes from my previous research it was part of the "parking mechanism" to put the blades back into the park position when turned off.  I had the 90 part missing as well, turned it up at the end and reinstalled without an issue.  Parks as it should no problems.  Because of the missing 90 it ends up a little short of full revolution but seems to work just as well.

image.jpeg

54 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I've taken apart more than a few and they are always broken, twisted or broken and twisted, you got lucky or I'm unlucky.

Probably not a luck thing. I don't live in an area that really ever sees road salt and Lily is from Arizona and probably had very little wear on the wipers. My third wiper transmission had a good bit of corrosion but it was from North Carolina or Virginia which are road salt states.

• Like 1