IGNORED

ZCON 2024

SteveJ

4 minutes ago, Patcon said:

How is Jim? He hasn't been on the site in 3 years...

Incredible collection!!

I was there last December and it's always a great turnout. His collection is inspiring and then depressing 🙂  Even in December we were all looking for shade.

I just don't understand scheduling outdoor festivities during the hottest time of the year but I also have zero idea of what goes into putting on something like ZCon.  Like Dave said the 350 and 370 crowd will like it. They have better air conditioning😂

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Derek said:

I was there last December and it's always a great turnout. His collection is inspiring and then depressing 🙂  Even in December we were all looking for shade.

I just don't understand scheduling outdoor festivities during the hottest time of the year but I also have zero idea of what goes into putting on something like ZCon.  Like Dave said the 350 and 370 crowd will like it. They have better air conditioning😂

Well, I have been involved with the planning of a ZCON. As you mentioned before, it's mostly about the track day. When the rest of the committee suggested October for the 2018 convention, I thought they were bonkers. However, I was COMPLETELY wrong. It just so happens that October is about the least rainy month in the Atlanta area. Z1 Motorsports was also generous enough to run the track day and People's Choice show for the convention when they normally would have held ZNationals. Yes, they got a cut of the convention proceeds, but I suspect it was less than they usually clear on ZNationals. 

The end result was that we had a great turnout for ZCON 2018. It was an incredible undertaking that I never wish to attempt again. 🙂 

ZCON 2020 was a little different. Covid was threating the convention, but just before the ZCCA threw in the towel, Nissan approached them about the debut of the new Z. The convention was in September, and the pandemic kept the attendance down some. It was nice having it in September instead of the middle of summer. The weather actually started cooling off quite a bit around the time of the People's Choice show on Saturday.

After attending two cooler month ZCONs and 3 VERY hot ZCONs, I certainly prefer the milder weather.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, SteveJ said:

As you mentioned before, it's mostly about the track day

Which makes me wonder if there should be a realignment of the priorities. I don't do track days with my car because I have zero free time these days but certainly there are plenty of ways to scratch that itch during the year. For me personally my interests are seeing other peoples builds, bench racing, maybe a poker run or fun rally with other Z cars.  I don't expect much to change but I was stoked then noped for Birmingham because of the date selected and now Tampa is going to see limited participation as well.  Driving a S30 in 90+ heat isn't exactly a joy. I daily drive mine and I have AC but it's a lot more fun with the AC off and the windows down.  

I mean these are sports cars right? 🙂 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:51 PM, SteveJ said:

After attending two cooler month ZCONs and 3 VERY hot ZCONs, I certainly prefer the milder weather.

I'm not sure which was worse... Austin, Atlanta, or baking in a 130 degree Quonset hut in Memphis!!!?  :pufff:

Quonset hut.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm not sure which was worse... Austin, Atlanta, or baking in a 130 degree Quonset hut in Memphis!!!?  :pufff:

Now Atlanta wasn't hot in October. Austin and Memphis in July? That's another story. I remember getting out of my car on the front stretch of the track for the group photo. The front stretch of the track was also a drag strip. Between the heat and the rubber from the drag tires on that part of the track, my feet almost became permanently affixed to the track.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

I've made it to two ZCON's - Memphis and Austin (brutally hot experiences) , missed two that that we really wanted to attend - Toronto and Nashville. No doubt the convention dates are influenced by the availability of nearby track dates. But one will always have to understand exactly WHY those dates are available - perhaps because others have the good sense to avoid them???

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I would have liked to have made Toronto. If I ever get the car finished I will try to make it to some of these events that are out of our region so I can meet some members in person that wouldn't otherwise happen

Actually, I was just talking to Wendy about following up on if Nooga G/Z wanted to host a get-together around Chattanooga due to its proximity to several cities in the Southeast. I have to check with the GZC president to put it back on his radar.

• Like 2