IGNORED

Why would anybody buy this Bring A Trailer "Display Engine"

Jeff G 78

I don't get this at all.  The seller took a bunch of junk engine parts with no internals and built an engine to sell.  With two days left on the auction, it is at $1350.  There are a few salvageable parts, but who would pay this much for common scrap parts?  The seller doesn't hide what is being sold.  It is clearly stated that the parts were destined for the dumpster.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/datsun-nissan-l28/

From the seller.. 

for everyone wondering, the reason this is a display motor is because its a collection of parts that weren’t useable cores. We build a fair number of L-series motors in the shop and I couldn’t stomach tossing the parts in the trash.

The block came to us without main caps
The cylinder head (240z) was rebuilt by the owner and he didn’t replace one of the valve spring seats and the seat was damaged.
The crankshaft is an L24 that came in with a car full of spare parts.
The timing cover has a corrosion perforation behind the water pump.

Sure there are some useable parts on the assembly, and if it were the last motor on the planet a machine shop could fix it and make it a working engine. But that wasn’t the intention. Instead of tossing the parts in the scrap pile, or sitting around the shop taking up space i made it worth looking at. In my opinion it’s perfect because you wont be tempted to take it apart!

We bought 30 or so cars in a batch deal back in 2021. So we have dozens of motors on the shelf for rebuilds as well as the plated parts and fasteners. If you’re looking for parts give the shop a call.

• Like 1

That is an odd first bid.  Also odd that the seller is in the desert too.  Hmmm....

Also also odd that the seller's chosen BaT name is harmonresto.  Very similar to the old Harmony01 seller that puts stuff on eBay for inflated prices.  All very strange!

https://bringatrailer.com/member/deserthermit/

https://bringatrailer.com/member/harmonresto/

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

I guess if the block is good, then the oil pan and valve cover would have some value. I don't really know...

Seller says that the block has no main caps which is why he planned to scrap it.

I'm not blaming the seller as he sounds honest in the ad.  I can't figure out why anybody would bid more than about $50 for it.  I'm also surprised BaT accepted the item.

• Like 1

It's meant to be display art.  It's all full of bling and flash.  New looking parts and plated pieces that add lots of reflection.  Real zow factor - worth BIG bucks.  Bid early and bid large!

• Like 1