IGNORED

Engine rebuild smoking

emccallum

So you were taking pictures while I was doing all the wrenching??

Just kidding, I really appreciate Charles driving down and helping me get the motor out. It's really nice working with someone that knows Z's. We had the motor out and torn down in about an hour. Motor is loaded in the truck and headed to the builder in the morning. I will post up what what we find. Good day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:32 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

Let some good shop do the engine !, and rebuild the head also properly, horrendous valve clatter ! A proper shop will replace these and polisch the cam, or replace the cam, this will stop the rattle with proper valve adjustement.:

Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z ZX 1970-83 L24 L26 L28 Valve Cam Rocker Arm | eBay

My L24 is silent, no rattle can,  it's a common myth L series rattle, but that's BS 

Good grief. Don't use those aftermarket rocker arms. OEM only on these.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Patcon said:

The exhaust ports looked really wet! That is actually a puddle of oil in the exhaust port!

This is actually liquid like oil that was seeping down under the gasket.

Wow. Makes me really wonder if the oil control rings were installed properly. I can't imagine they wore out that quickly, but maybe put in wrong somehow? In any event, the answer will hopefully be forthcoming soon.   :excl:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wow. Makes me really wonder if the oil control rings were installed properly. I can't imagine they wore out that quickly, but maybe put in wrong somehow? In any event, the answer will hopefully be forthcoming soon.   :excl:

Oil control rings are tricky to install with that quirky little separator, but if I had to guess with all the oil in each exhaust port ……that’s your problem. I always install top of the line piston rings when I do a build. Hastings are the worst and Total Seal are the best! IMO rings and bearings should be the absolute best items in a new build. Good luck with your next build….Charles is a champ for helping you. 

• Like 2

Hi Charles ……. totalseal.com    I can’t remember where I bought them, but I think I bought them direct from Total Seal. Seems to me they can make any set you need if you give em the specs. If not, you can call them and ask who stocks them. The oil ring retainers are really easy to match up and the rings are top quality. I hope the builder installed the other rings right side up (letters on top).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of the time that a german firm installed my front fireblade tire in the wrong direction!  (Yeah.. he said.. happens once in a 100 times..)  The Honda fireblade drives like #^$% when the tire direction is wrong on the rim!  I didn't know it made that kind of difference!  Something like that is the case with your engine.. we are people we make mistakes..  (although i didn't make any mistake this last year!... why? i didn't do anything! 😒 )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No news yet on the motor. However, the hits just keep coming. I had the heater core pressure tested before I put it all back together. Guess what? Yep, it is just barely dripping. I cant decide if the car should be named Christine or Murphy.

• Sad 2